FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Small Pair, Small Kicker in Stud8

7-handed $3/$6 Stud8 on Party Poker.

Seat 1 is the bring-in on this hand.

THIRD STREET
Seat 1: (XX)2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 4: (XX)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Seat 4 limped and I limped behind.

FOURTH STREET
Seat 1: (XX)4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 4: (XX)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Seat 4 bet and we both called.

FIFTH STREET
Seat 1: (XX)4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 4: (XX)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Both players checked, I bet, and they both called.

SIXTH STREET
Seat 1: (XX)4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 4: (XX)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Two checks, I bet, two calls.

RIVER
Seat 1: (XX)4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](X)
Seat 4: (XX)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](X)
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Seat 1 bets and we both call.

Any advice on how I could or should have played this hand would be appreciated. I'm not sure I played it incorrectly, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Small Pair, Small Kicker in Stud8

i play this the same way
i like to pay off on the river

mike
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Looks good
Old 02-22-2005, 12:39 PM

its really tough to overcall small two pair here on the river, but SEAT1 probably picked up a strong low, while SEAT4 is calling with a weak low, and hopefully you'll call to take the high half.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:44 PM

Maybe raise 4th, to try and force out the seat 1 bring-in and go heads up with seat 4? Problem with rasing is that seat 1 has a very nice board, and even bring-ins can have two good cards underneath, while seat 4, with a 78 up, betting into two lower boards, either has something going for high or has a death wish. But you have a pair, a three-flush and 3 cards to a straight low, so if you wanted to play the hand differently, that's the only place I see that makes sense, with the exception of folding 3rd. 5th, 6th and 7th definitely look fine.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:18 PM

Its an overcall no one really wants to make, but you have to because seat 1 could have either made a low, tripped up, or made a bigger two pair. It also seems like the other guy made a rough eight and hopes his hand is good for the low.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:58 PM

I would have folded on 3rd, split 5's is a lousy high hand and 2 cards to an 8 is a lousy low draw.

If I play small pair, small kicker, I prefer the pair be hidden and the side card an ace or connector. These hands often cause big problems on later streets.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM

this is prolly a fold on 3rd, depending on the size of the antes. otherwise i would play the same way.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:10 PM

I agree that 3rd street is a fold. I used to get into a lot of trouble with playing small pairs. Youre really not that strong going in either direction and there arent really any cards that you could catch on 4th that would greatly improve your hand. But you could catch just good enough to make you want to take more cards off, which then gets you into trouble on later streets if you brick.

Aicirt
Old 02-22-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Thoughts and Results

A lot of people are suggesting that this is a fold on third street, which means that I haven't given enough information about the game I was in or the specific situation that arose on this hand.

Seat 4 was TERRIBLE. On third street he would complete the bring-in (or raise if the BI had brought it in for a complete bet) with any pair, any three flush, or any three cards below a nine. Thus, when he limped, I put him on either two high cards with a low card or two low cards with a high card. Either way, my hand was almost certainly better than his.

Second, I was to the direct right of the bring-in. So I was certain to play a short-handed pot against one random hand and one very weak hand. I was happy to do this, especially given that they were both poor players who would call bets on later streets with little or nothing (I had seen the bring-in call to sixth-street with a busted shitty three-card low that included an eight). Seat 4 was very prone to bluffing, by which I mean betting and raising based on the strength of his upcards rather than what he actually had. On an earlier hand, I had made a smooth eight on fifth street in a four-way pot. Seat 4 had 234 showing, a high hand bet, and he raised. I folded, and it turned out that he had 92 in the hole.

Long story short, I wanted to play as many pots with this guy as I could, and I thought my hand on third was strong enough to warrant a limp.

However, if he had raised, I would have definitely folded. But I was getting 5.5:1 on my third street call, so I didn't think it was that bad.

Anyway, the subject line says results.

Seat 1: (2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Seat 4: (Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])