Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Slow down on the river?

Should I be slowing down on the river in the types of situations?

Hand 1: (no reads)
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Flop: (9 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero</font>...

Final Pot: 12 BB

Hand 2: (MP3 is loose passive)

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero</font>...

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Hand 3: MP1 is TAG

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero</font>...

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 02-24-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Slow down on the river?

I only skimmed the first two hands.
For hand one, I would tend to check and call if he bets.
For hand two, you should bet when he checked to you.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:48 AM

I would say generally no. Against a 3-flush with no indications and one opponent, definitely not. The gutshots with one opponent and no action, the odds are still against them having that one card, I would think.

Now, 4 flushes and open straights, or more opponents, or reads, any of that could change the picture.

Now that's not to say you won't lose some of these - you will, especially if you play aggressive, because weak passives with good hands will sit back, let you bet for them, then raise you on the river. That doesn't feel good but don't let it make you quit betting the river. I recently went through my history and added up all my saved bets versus lost opportunities, mostly on situations much more dangerous than you presented, and I was behind even on those. Hence my advice here to you and to myself.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 AM

Hand 1: Not many people will be able to bluff raise, so I say bet the river and fold to a raise. You'll be surprised by what people will call you with.

Hand 2: I'm inclinded to check this river against a passive oppoenet and with such a coordinated board. This one is a little tricky to play IMO.

Hand 3: You need a good read to 3-bet with AQo. Bet the river.