Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Multi Book Forums

Hi Everyone:

There has been requests to establish multi-book forums corresponding to different books. From the point of view of Two Plus Two Publishing LLC there are some drawbacks to this. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. So I'm going to kick it around for a few days and then we'll make a decision.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-23-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Multi Book Forums

Categorized book forums (NL, HE, Omaha, Tournaments) or specific titles (TOP, SSHE)?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 AM

Hi Bradley:

The request is for titles.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-23-2005, 04:30 AM

I can also see the draw backs as well (and Im with the request) -- as if you have a question or a looking for a response (and we all know how some people love the search function) it might be a little cluttered trying to find it.

If its managed well from the start it could work, u would probably want to post some rules on a sticky though, like have a general book forum...and if someone has a question, point them to the appropraite book thread.

The only thing is, to get a question answered, u need traffic and while it would be nice to get something spefic up...a generalized book forum tends to get more questions answered and quickly...

Mason, ask the orcale. (There are two scenarios when Im thinking of David Sklansky...the one where he is all Iago like, hiding in the wings and curtains of the twoplustwo publishing office, or the one where he is dressed as the Orcale of Delphi, locked in a closet somewhere with a glowing orb, inhaling whatever gases are leakin up from the ground, and trance like, chanting probabilities...where publishing house interns guide gamblers with questions to him for gifts and money. Am I close??)

Anyway, maybe he can help. When u guys put your heads together (and even as independant entities) you guys seem to do overly okay in any situation. If it works for books, it can work for forums. By the way, I wonder what your company picknicks are like.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bradley:

best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always in favor of expanding the forum when it's needed, but I'm not a fan of this particular idea.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is enough traffic in the books forum to warrant so many new forums devoted soley to specific books.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure we're quite 'there' yet.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 AM

Now I still consider myself a newcomer to these forums but I have read the Books forum quite a bit over the last few months. Feel free to ignore me but I do not think that a forum for each individual book or any specific book would be a good idea.

It seems that the majority of the threads in the Book forum are people asking which book they should read to fit their game, which usually follows by seasoned pros telling them to check the search forum. While every now and then a good thread comes around discussing certain theories or opinions of specific authors. I feel that creating forums for individual 2+2 books would not be helpful for the redundant "What book should I read" question.

What I suggest on doing is splitting the book forum into two new forums. One would be a general "What should I read" forum (you guys work on the title). This would be the place where people can ask for opinions on books that they are thinking of reading or find a book that would fit them. The second forum would be geared toward book discussion, questioning the logic of the book, certain chapter breakdowns, and so on. This forum would be geared toward the people who have already read and studied the book and want to discuss it without wading through the "What is a good NL book?" threads.

So there you have it, my two cents. Take it or leave it.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bradley:

best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always in favor of expanding the forum when it's needed, but I'm not a fan of this particular idea.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is enough traffic in the books forum to warrant so many new forums devoted soley to specific books.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure we're quite 'there' yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

As so often, AngryCola takes the words from my mouth.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:05 AM

I think it would be better to have either sticky threads for the main books discussed or a main sticky thread with links to the main past discussions on the main books that are discussed would be better. Over splitting of this forum to me would be madness and dilute the discussions.

For example a WLLHE forum most of us would not click on it and so newbies or others who may have valid new questions or looking for advice may well either not get it or be given it by those fans of the books who may not know or understand the flaws within it.

I dont think it will work and will reduce the quality of the forum.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 AM

Too disjointed, bad idea IMO.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Seems like categories would make more sense than having an entire forum dedicated to a single title.