Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Default A flush draw against few players

suppose the following hand:

Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Only UTG, MP and button calls, and Hero checks.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls.

Turn is a 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I find myself new to this situation playing a flush draw against just one opponent. I was playing in a lower limit and before i would have many callers, so I would just check here, call a bet and hope to make my flush. Now that is heads up, how often should I be betting this? I find myself checking it and having to face a turn bet when the pot is small.
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: A flush draw against few players

My line with a low flush draw like this is often times to check/call while I'm on the draw and then lead when I make the flush. With some hope of spiking a pair to win, I like betting but a pair of 2's or 5's doesn't figure to be good in this spot with 3 opponents.

Brad

Check/call the turn in this hand unless you feel like you can take down the pot > 25% of the time with a bet.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:15 PM

i bet the turn. no read on the opponent?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Check/fold the river if its a blank? Or bet in hopes that he was drawing too?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:21 PM

I don't like betting the flop here. Everyone has to call to make it profitable, and you are not gaining anything if people fold (if you don't hit your flush or the rare backdoor straight, you're likely toast). With overcards and a flush draw you could bet to improve your chances of winning if you spike a pair and miss your draw, but I don't think betting the 3 high flush draw is very good here.

I would check planning to raise if UTG bets and the others call or call if anyone else bets.

On the turn you'll be getting 4.25:1 if you check and Button bets. That's enough to call and see the river. Betting the turn is almost a pure bluff, and Button would have to fold fairly often (25%?) to make a bet profitable.

EDIT: Damn it, too slow again!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

open fold. i don't think he'll have an unpaired flush draw enough to bet this river. (or fold a pair)

if this guy will raise us on the turn, a check-call is fine. i think we might have an interesting river decision if the turn goes check-check.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

open fold. i don't think he'll have an unpaired flush draw enough to bet this river. (or fold a pair)

if this guy will raise us on the turn, a check-call is fine. i think we might have an interesting river decision if the turn goes check-check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure what he is saying is this...

Flop: Hero bets- villian calls
Turn: Hero bets - villian calls
River (we miss the flush): Hero ??

It is very dependant on the opponent. As a rough idea, with 3 other people taking a look at a flop, another flush draw will be out there ~9% of the time. I say check/fold the river because he will be calling with a pair much more often then he will be with a draw.

Brad
Old 02-21-2005, 06:36 PM

Thanks everybody. Check calling the flop seems better to me now.
For the reads, I cant really say a lot, just this is a Prima 0,25/0,50 game, looking sort of tight to me (sometimes one raises preflop and everybody folds.. postflop they usually fold when dont have something)
If you had a 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand giving you a bottom pair, would you bet the turn?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Betting on the turn is preferable to me vs one opponent unless his WtSD is obviously high, just for fold equity. I mean, if you had AK vs one opponent and didn't make a pair, would you be check/calling it on the turn? Examples don't match exactly because AK has a small amount of showdown value and you didn't show any preflop strength, but shouldn't it apply here as well?