Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Playing fantasy sports (football) for a living.

I mean, I don't think I'd try it and maybe if you're THAT good at ffball you'd just start up a subscription fantasy news/info site.

Assuming you think you're a super badass ffball player and you wanted to try it, how many leagues do you think you'd need to participate in?

I mean, the only real limiter on the amount of leagues you could enter would be assigning time to draft them. I'd think entering 25-35 $500-$1000 entrance leagues would be better than entering 10'ish $5k+ leagues otherwise the variance could be too much. Realistically, what would you rate your chance of winning a league or at least placing in the money. If you entered 30 10 team $1000 entry leagues with the format of $5000, $2000, $1000 for places (www.antsports.com's format) you'd be looking at $30,000 entry and to even make things worthwhile you'd want to net 50k pretax so... we need to make 80k somehow in our 30 leagues. Could you expect to win 1/3 of the leagues? That'd be worth 50k and then you'd need to pick up 30k in 20 leagues so... hmm, tough. Can you expect to win more than 1/3? Perhaps you'd need to play in more leagues which could be tough... I don't really know how many online sites are available with decent stakes ($500-$5000) ffball.

Sorry... just random off season thinking out loud.

cjx
Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Playing fantasy sports (football) for a living.

Can it be done, yes. But if you are capable of this you probably would make more $$$$$ if bet games with your intial start up money.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:47 PM

It's tough to find leagues without crazy juice.

-Michael
Old 02-24-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with most novelty gambling opportunities. For example the yahoo pool and other yahoo games which can be gambled on through another site the juice is 1/3 of the pot, this means you really have to look for huge advantages for it to be +EV.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with most novelty gambling opportunities. For example the yahoo pool and other yahoo games which can be gambled on through another site the juice is 1/3 of the pot, this means you really have to look for huge advantages for it to be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

cbs.sporstline you can join leagues where the winner gets a good amount of money (they have several different entry fee levels), but I think they charge about 50% juice. I think that edge is just to big to overcome.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:48 PM

Not sure exactly what you're defining juice as (the site's take?), but antsports ( http://www.antsports.com/Leagues/money_1000_leagues.asp ) (not pimping them, though I did play in a league their in 03) purports 90% payouts with ~%50 of entries going to the league winner.

cjx
Old 02-24-2005, 08:35 PM

You could almost play against monkeys who select players randomly from a list of offensive starters and lose in this league. Actually, I think you probably would.

-Michael