Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Gus Hansen and poker books

I go over to the card player site and read an interview with gus hansen. He said that the only book he has ever read on hold em is Hold Em Poker by David Sklansky. Gus further states in the interview that he does not like to read! Maybe, I am reading too many poker books. I have almost every book ever written on poker. I think I have about 900 dollars worth of books. Gus Hansen, reads only one book and makes a couple of million bucks. It is just not fair!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Gus Hansen and poker books

[ QUOTE ]
I go over to the card player site and read an interview with gus hansen. He said that the only book he has ever read on hold em is Hold Em Poker by David Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never believe anything a poker player says about his game. The better he plays, the less you should believe him.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Maybe it is possible. If Gus totally digested the book, combine this with his natural poker ability and it's not so hard to beleive. Remember, not everyone has this "natural" poker gift, therefore, have to read more, and work harder to absorb the information (myself included).

However, although I am someone who needs the extra reading, I do think I have bought too many books. It's got to the stage where it's almost impossible to read and fully digest all the material in these books. Imho, a full library should consist of the 2+2 books, and a couple of others around this. For example, Super System, Poker Tells, and a couple by Ciaffone. Lets be honest, if you are prepared to read and re-read this collection, is there need for any more?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said that the only book he has ever read on hold em is Hold Em Poker by David Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read HOH, TOP, ITH, WLLH - is there any reason to go back and read this book? Also, I'm wondering if the upcoming "Getting Started in Hold 'Em" will make it obsolete.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I go over to the card player site and read an interview with gus hansen. He said that the only book he has ever read on hold em is Hold Em Poker by David Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

He must have skipped the chapter on starting hand requirements.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He said that the only book he has ever read on hold em is Hold Em Poker by David Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read HOH, TOP, ITH, WLLH - is there any reason to go back and read this book? Also, I'm wondering if the upcoming "Getting Started in Hold 'Em" will make it obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have already mastered TOP and WLLH I would suggest you read SSHE. If you want instruction for higher limits go with HEFAP. I think the original HEP will likely be too basic for you as you are suggesting.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:22 AM

Too many people think that books are the answer to becoming a good poker player. The real answer is you need to play and put in the hours. You need lots and lots of table time. And you need the discipline to constantly look for mistakes you are making and ways to improve your game.

Phil Ivey has stated that he never read one poker book.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:15 AM

Again, we come back to the same thing. How many of us are blessed with Phil Ivey's poker talents? Even the top pro's in the world have acknowledged that Phil is extremely gifted.

I totally agree that we have to put in the hours at the table, become disciplined and constantly review ourselves for leaks in our game, however, most ordinary people need the grounding and theory to understand and identify these leaks. Without the wealth of literature available, this process would be almost impossible for the average person.

I do hawever, think that it can get to a point where we get too many books, therefore, getting swamped in the process.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:58 AM

There is always a need for many more books, they dont generally have to be poker books many other kinds of books can help different aspects of your game.

When you stop buying or reading new material you stop improving.

I have around 25 poker books and I still need many more before I consider myself a good player.

I'm not going to limit myself to only reading information from a handful of writers.

When you have a good amount of knowledge on poker you will realise how much room there is for improvement.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have around 25 poker books and I still need many more before I consider myself a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize that this is a nosensical way to measure poker ability.