Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2002, 11:06 PM

Default A7d

online 3/6, table is a mix of a couple better than average, a couple of "any two suited" (the suited sometimes being optional) and the rest somewhere in between.

I get dealt A7d in the cutoff, two to my right open limps, I raise, the SB makes it 3 with the limper and I calling. The SB seems to have some brains and doesnt seem to be all that aggressive so I put him on a big pair for now. The limper is one of the loosies so who knows.
Flop is 9d 7h 3c. SB bets and we both call.
Turn is 4d. SB bets again and we both call. I considered raising here because of my oodles of outs assuming Im behind, the likely hood SB wouldnt reraise a turn raise from a preflop raiser (everybody still with me [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ) and to possibly get a free showdown if I miss. Comments on this raise?
Anyway it doesnt matter cause the river is the Jd, SB bet and called my raise, the limper called one bet.
Im pretty sure I played this right, but since I didnt raise the turn who would call the river if I had missed and the limper folded?
All other comments appreciated as always.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:25 PM

Default Re: A7d

I am of the opinion that ace-rag suited is a bit too weak to try to isolate a limper with in the cutoff.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:11 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are wrong. Besides, A7 isn't ace-rag. That's a respectable medium ace.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:09 AM

Yes, you have the option of raising the turn, but it works better if there's a good chance both opponents will fold, so I think calling is probably a better choice in this particular situation.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:33 AM

"get a free showdown if I miss. Comments on this raise?"

It's not a free showdown, you paid for it on the turn. It's not even cheap cuz you paid full price. Also, you want the SB to bet the river if you make your hand.

If 9 d's are good and 3 A's and 2 7's, the odds are 32:14 against making hand, ~ 2.3:1, raise would only be getting 2:1 (SB and limper).

Add a limper and it would be +EV if all 14 outs are good. Of course you have to balance other factors, you want SB to bet river, but limpers more likely to call on turn than river, etc.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:43 AM

I disagree [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think ace-rag (a seven is a rag IMO) sooted is historically overvalued. What kind of non-flushy flops are you happy to get action on? Not a lot.

Then again, when I think about it, I auto-raise there with A9s (and 77) and higher, so maybe 2 ranks isn't that big of a deal. But if have had mixed success isolating with these hands in the past and generally have stopped doing it unless I feel I have great control over the limper & the blinds.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:37 PM

I was the small blind. May red ants infest your armpits! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 02:01 PM

The difference between A9 and A7 is big, but that doesn't mean A7 isn't big enough in that spot. In fact, I don't think its even close. You get the button, you likely put dead money in the pot, you win the hand unless your opponent makes something, and you frequently win even when he *does* make something. Thats a lot of good things for one measly sb.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:42 PM

Default Posted the question in the \"General\" holdem forum

Old 09-06-2002, 11:59 PM

ouch