Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Steal, resteal, resteal

To resteal or not to resteal?

Stars 10 dollar rebuy about 35 people left with blinds 4K/8K with 400 antes. I have about 180K on the button and BB starts hand with about 170K. Folded to me on the button and I pop it to 24K. I had 56o although I don't think this is relevant as in this position I don't believe the cards matter much.

SB folds and BB pops it to 48K. I had already caved to a few resteals and decided to stand my ground this time as BB was one of the restealing culprits. I immediately pushed to his reraise and he thought and he called with QTo.

I hit a 5 on the flop but he hit a T on the river and I was crippled. But this isn't the point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He chastised me for my reraise but I thought his call was ludicrous putting his tournament on the line to an all in covering him when all he has was cheese. I guess with some guys there is no folding equity?

I guess I wonder how often you should come over the top of obvious resteals and how often you should just keep your powder dry for another day. Even with a decent sized stack at the rate and rapidity the blinds and antes increase moves must be made when the opportunity presents itself.

Maybe I suck but I almost always cave in to a resteal resteal unless I really have a hand. I was obviously stealing and he was obviously restealing but is my resteal resteal obvious? At that point I give the guy credit. So I guess I want to know who here makes the call my opponent did with QTo and who makes the push I did?

I feel on the button it is my duty to steal an unopened pot. In the BB I feel it is my duty to resteal from a button stealer. But after that for me it gets foggy? Just looking for thoughts on this situation. I figured if he had a hand he'd call and if he didn't he'd fold. The fact that he called without much is what has me thinking?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Steal, resteal, resteal

He has the pot odds to call, so it isn't terrible on his part. You should know before you push what his odds are... he probably knows that if you push he has to call. This, in addition to the fact that you've probably been trying to steal every unopened pot from decent position ("my duty"), I don't think it's the best play for you to push.

Mix it up a little, fold a few times on the button to make it seem like you're using discretion. Stay alive long enough and you'll raise with AA on the button and win the tournament.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:44 PM

the rereraise was big enough that it should have priced out hands like Q10. If you keep waiting for AA on the button you're sure to blind out most of the time.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:44 PM

This is a terrific example of being aware of your image (it also helps if you have some idea of if your opponent is aware or not of others' images...this is where it comes in handy to be live, not online).
In the situation you describe, you have an image of being able to be pushed off of your steal raises. These stack sizes are perfect for making the re-resteal.
He had to call....t130k to win t220k. He was getting less than 1.7:1 on his call. It's a pretty bad call on his part. I really like your move.

Again, the main thing to consider is your image, your "relationship" with the blinds, and probably most importantly, the chip depth. Also, doing it with live cards is important. I like this move much better with 56o than with K9 (you can't always expect them to be calling with QT).
Also, realize how the outcome of this hand will greatly affect your image...no matter the outcome.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:45 PM

he had the right price? really? 1.7:1 with an easily dominated hand?
I would want 3:1 at least to call there.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you've probably been trying to steal every unopened pot from decent position

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough but it doesn't really come up all that often. It's rare I get a pot folded to me in LP. And at that point on the button you just can't fold and must raise in my experience. And as far as pot odds go I agree although his stack size (and mine) were large enough to still be competitive had either of us folded when pressured by the other. If he didn't have a stack left worth preserving I wouldn't have made the play.

So given that scenario do you call off your last 65K when you get caught restealing with QT or do you fold and fight another day? I had the same decision on his resteal and I decided to represent a big hand. When do you stand and when do you cave?

Oh and I have tried that waiting for AA line and unfortunately I'm still waiting!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Right, I really messed that up - posted while drinking and thought he had at least 3:1 to call for some reason. That of course makes my original post worthless - the BB's call is brutal.