Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 AM

Default My friends baptism

I have known my friend since we were thirteen. He came to my grade school and we started making mischief. We have been good friends for about ten years now.

We've always sort of been the same "philosophically," not religious (despite going to catholic schools), cool with drinking and drugs (not, you know, "drugs"), down with pre-marital sex. Anti racism, homophobia, evil, etc.

I talked to him a couple weeks ago after not seeing him for a while, and he mentioned that he was going to a bible study. He had mentioned to me before that he had started hanging out with some kids from school that were all churchy n s[/i]hit, and they had been inviting him to a bible study. I didn't really think much of it.

So, he called me up on Friday night and asked me what I was doing on Sunday, and if I would come to his baptism. I told him I would. (I'm "skeptical" at best about religions.) I support it if he thinks it can make him better and happier, however, so I was happy to go. I found out at the (to my mind, cultish) baptism that no one there had known him for more than three weeks.

I was talking to him today about it, and he was telling me that the church that he has become a part of is christians who believe that the bible is one hundred percent divinely inspired. I asked him if the people at his church would say that I'm going to hell. He told me yes. I asked him if he would vote against allowing gay marriage. He told me yes. They believe everything that the bible says (though I don't know if they're literalists like creationists or whatever, if they are, it's worse than I thought).

This group of people embodies one of the things that I hate the worst about religion.

Is my friend my ideological enemy?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: My friends baptism

No Christian that I am aware of believes everything the Bible says. Or better said, I don't think any argue that everything in the Bible is meant for them. Many of my friends are Christians so I just try to stay away from any controversial topics because one of us usually ends up getting mad. Just continue to be his friend and if you believe his intentions are good accept him regardless of your differences. Some people just aren't as smart....seriously
Old 02-24-2005, 06:56 AM

He thinks I am going to hell, that I am a bad person.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 AM

oh well, a lot of people think a lot of things about me.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:00 AM

A true Christian will try to save you and get you to see the error of your ways. Expect your friend to start talking to you about Jesus, wanting you to come to church with him, etc. If you want to stay friends, I advise telling him to shut the [censored] up about his religion while you're together. Tell him that you'll deal with God when you feel like it and you don't want encouragement. As a friend he should respect this decision.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that sucks. But he also thinks he's naturally a bad person who just got "lucky" and doesn't deserve it either. However much being friends with somebody that thinks you're going to hell sucks; you'll have to weigh it against not being his friend at all. Which is worse?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think i could be friends with somebody that thought this about me.

on a side note, it is pretty easy to flip things around on born again christians. most that i have met (including close family members) are in no way "walking in Jesus' footseps," helping people, etc..In fact, I can honestly say some of the most hateful people I have met were born again christians. but, i always hoped this was just coincidence.

crsig
Old 02-24-2005, 07:31 AM

I think if you want to be friends with him you will find a way to deal and if you don't than you will make a big deal about this.

As it stands now you are questioning your friendship not on what he has done to you or said but on how you feel about his new found beliefs.

I am not sure he is the one who is the problem.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A true Christian will try to save you and get you to see the error of your ways. Expect your friend to start talking to you about Jesus, wanting you to come to church with him, etc. If you want to stay friends, I advise telling him to shut the [censored] up about his religion while you're together. Tell him that you'll deal with God when you feel like it and you don't want encouragement. As a friend he should respect this decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

He, knowing the way I feel about this, has told me that he will not try to convert me. It's respectful, I guess, but it's sort of worse, in a way.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think i could be friends with somebody that thought this about me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But watch out. Many born again Christians will turn this around, saying, "Wouldn't a true friend try to help their friend out? Would a true friend let their friend go to Hell?"

It can make for quite a tense and awkward situation.

I've had plenty of them.