Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Playing at the \'Bubble Stage\' of a Tournament

A question was posed in another forum here about what you should do when you're at the bubble stage of a tournament. For the sake of discussion it was posed that the tourny pays the top 5 positions and all 6 players have equal stacks of about 10XBB.

Everyone realizes that consciously or subconsciously players tighten up considerably at this point. The question was, what theory do you use. Do you loosen up, at the risk of bowing out before payday, to strenghten your position once you are in the money in order to place higher or do you tighten up and wait to see if you can make the money rounds.

I've been told that my 'theory' of playing in order steal some of the blinds is not correct. As I'm not a professional player, I concede this is probably true. My general playstyle is to loosen up, steal blinds with 4x the bb or half pot raises (This is NL by the way) but I don't typically 'jam up' preflop. I've been told you should either jam up preflop or not bet when stacks are this low in comparison to the blinds.

I'm always willing to change my playstyle so I'd like to understand why this is better. My thoughts have always been that if you go in with a sizeable bet, but not cripling your stack that the tighter players will fold or raise you. If folding (the goal is to steal some blinds here) then that's good, but the raises mean that I'm beat. If I jam, and run into AA, KK, QQ, AKs I'm probably beat. My thoughts have been that if you're 'stealing blinds' that risking your whole stack for that is excessive. What's the flaw in my logic?