Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 11:40 AM

Default straight with flush out

Reads: BB has shown himself to raise without reason, CO seems a little more conservative but not much. But the questions I have on this hand have little to do with reads, more with card odds. I had a draw to a 3rd-nut flush and a gutshot to a nut-straight (if no flush). With 5 players in (when I called the flop bet), is that worth staying in? It seemed borderline to me but being on the button decided me to go for it, since I could bail out at any sign of strength.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 02-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: straight with flush out

i like it. sometimes I'll raise PF if I have a read.

going for overcalls once you hit is good.

if you miss on the turn and its 6:1 to you closing the action, do you call again?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like it. sometimes I'll raise PF if I have a read.

going for overcalls once you hit is good.

if you miss on the turn and its 6:1 to you closing the action, do you call again?

[/ QUOTE ]

BT, you may be too advanced for me, but let me see if I follow you. I was mainly just asking if it was stupid to stay in after that flop - I gather you think that part was alright.

By "going for overcalls", do you mean by just calling and not raising after hitting the flush I was encouraging the others to stay in the pot? I think I recall reading about that in SSHE but, to be honest, the thought never crossed my mind here. I was simply afraid that A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] were out there somewhere. Could you (or others) expand a bit more on the overcall idea?

In answer to your question, had the turn missed, yes, I think I would have done it again on the river, but again I think it's borderline. I've got 9 outs to the flush and 4 to the gutshot, but it seems like both have to be discounted heavily for the risk of a better hand being out there even if I connect. Discount them about 1/3 and the breakeven pot odds are 4.5:1, discount them 1/2 and it takes 6.1:1, so at 6:1 yeah I'd say do it again.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 PM

going for overcalls is when you're expecting there to be more in the pot when people behind you call rather than you raising and probably dropping them out, and it also protects you from risking the chance of the original bettor having a better hand and 3-betting.