Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Top 2 pair, any other way to play this?

Sorry, no reads on villains. I was 7 tabling while on the phone and eating dinner as I was doing homework, so my attention was a bit scattered.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (16.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (20.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26.25 BB

Is this a preflop raise from this position? I hate raising QJs from here, but perhaps it needs to be done. Anyone play this differently?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Top 2 pair, any other way to play this?

Everything seems fine except for the river. Why do you suspect CO to have 33/A2/67 here?

3 bet the river.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:53 AM

I think a valid alternate line is calling the flop bet and waiting for the turn to raise.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:57 AM

edit: POST DELETED, I AM A MORON
Old 02-17-2005, 04:59 AM

You are certainly correct as raising the flop doesn't protect hero's hand at all. Every draw under the sun would have odds to call two bets on the flop...
Old 02-17-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Thoughts and results

[ QUOTE ]
You are certainly correct as raising the flop doesn't protect hero's hand at all. Every draw under the sun would have odds to call two bets on the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. Raising the turn is a significantly stronger play in retrospect. My thought process during the hand was as follows:

I wasn't sure what to put Button on, most likely AK/AQ/AJ/KQ. I was fairly certain CO had AA-QQ or possibly JJ/AKs based on the post-check, then reraise action.

I figured I was way ahead (or way behind to QQ/JJ), and since I'm vulnerable to being counterfeited, I wanted to get the most money in while I'm still best. Unfortunately, this thinking is flawed and I should have been waiting for the turn to get in a raise.

It turns out Button had the classic T4s and CO had AQ and MHIG. I won a big pot and made a new buddy all in one hand, it really doesn't get much better than that.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a preflop raise from this position?

[/ QUOTE ]

a raise will only chase out weaker hands, when you want them to call with 78s and similar hands. a limp is fine as your hand is strong enough to stand a raise at this level. another reason raising this hand UTG+1 would be that you could be 3-bet by a dominating hand and going heads up with that hand would make it quite difficult to play, especially out of position.

i play the rest of the streets the same.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 AM

Nice hand. No don't raise preflop.

Brad
Old 02-17-2005, 12:15 PM

I would raise the flop. This is a rainbow board, Hero's hand is very strong here. He doesn't need protection... raise right now for value.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Raising for value is likely to fold out weak hands. You're better off going for overcalls, then reraising any raises.