Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM

Default ATs hand flops top 2 pair

What's your play? Villain is loose-aggr, tricky.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($9.5)
UTG ($29.75)
UTG+1 ($25)
MP1 ($42.55)
MP2 ($24.7)
MP3 ($68.05)
CO ($23.75)
Button ($12.05)
Hero ($32.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.85</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $11.4</font>, Hero ???
Old 02-15-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: ATs hand flops top 2 pair

Well there was no raise preflop from the button, which suggests to me the villain does not hold a pocket pair, so I would not be that worried about trips. My guess is he either holds 10-7, A-10 or a Ax of spades. If he's loose I would think he'd raise on the button with A10.

I would guess that right now you're ahead.

I'd call. I'm not sure if this is "correct" but that's my play. Flame away.

Later,
Chris
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 AM

well just because there wasn't a raise doesn't mean he's incapable of 77 here for the flopped set.

i personally NEVER raise pocket pairs under tens, and i will sometimes limp tens even- it's super deceptive i guess since you'd never put me on a set here.

it's basically read dependent, he could be fastplaying a set really hard, but i think it's more likely you have him crushed......if you're wrong- whoopsie and rebuy

i think you're either way ahead or way behind so you might want to fold since the pot isn't too large and you're certainly in a gambling situation.

close decision though.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately I had no hands in my pokertracker history to show how villain played pocket pairs.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Pretty easy push if you're against a LAG. The only thing you're likely to be behind is 77. You're way ahead of a A7, 7T, 2 spades. I guess you're slightly behind 7sXs or 8s9s, but you have odds to call vs. these. I'd put him on A7, but at this level it's hard to make a precise prediction.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Do you really think this is an easy call? Do you think you lose much pot equity by folding?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Yes. Short-stacked idiots are just that - idiots. Easy call.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:25 PM

I disagree with everyone. Don't call, put him all in for his last 15 cents or what it is. And I can't believe anyone would consider laying this down. There are way more hands (he would do this with) you beat than beat you, and you never have to be more than 50% favourite of a hand. The short stacks and the fact that villian is "tricky" makes the decision even easier.

Hope you called, and it worked out.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:42 PM

I will use my magical mind-reading skills to tell you what the opponent had. You lost the hand... You're wondering how you could have gotten away from it... Opponent is described as tricky...

You lost to AA.

And opponent was stupid for limping aces, because the times you hit trip tens and flushes will more than make up for the times you hit 2 pair vs. his set.

But don't be results oriented. Random opponents will make similar plays with AK, A7, T7, and 2 spades, and you should call every time.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:50 PM

Villain cashed in for 25BB, I have trouble with the nomer "tricky" as it's hard to get "tricky" with 25BB. He's probably just "bad", and everyone who says fold is giving him way way way too much credit here.

He could have any number of holdings, including pair + flush draw, Ace w/ decent kicker, a lower two pair, OESFD, or just simply a straight or flush draw. This is an easy call (well, might as well go ahead and put him all-in).