Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Default table image

i am a young player who has just moved from online and started playing some live mid stakes NL. I have an image as a very tight "rookie" at the table, i have proven to myself that i can play with all the regulars at the table, but i dont think i have convinced them yet. whats the best way to take advantage of my table image at this moment against these kind of players?

thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: table image

The best way to capitalize on a tight image is to start playing loose. Bluff and semi-bluff more often and you will get more respect for your bets and raises. Then when you think that the players have you pegged as a loose gambler, you can switch back to tight ABC poker.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: table image

Building on the advice above, loosen up in late position. When you're on the button, start playing some hands that are much lower quality than you would normally play. This is good practice to retrain your instinctively tight play.

When I was in your situation, I found that strength of position counteracted that innate tight-player feeling of "I can't believe I'm playing this crap hand." This avoids having to make tough check-or-bet decisions in early position when the flop doesn't hit you. And, when the situation is right, you can bluff at a pot from the button while basking in the aura of "I'm a tight player, so I wouldn't bet unless I have the goods, right?" Also, occasionally your mediocre hands will hit on the flop, and when you show the hand that you played (i.e. T8s), the other players can't help but notice that you've loosened up.

Ultimately, the best way to "convince" the other players that you're in their league is consistently take their money.