Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Personal OIC...couple questions

I started a personal OIC last night in an effort to improve my game, try out higher stakes, and build my bankrol safely.

I'm comfortable at 1/2 6MAX and 2/4. 3/6 has me cringing sometimes when I see "raise $12" on the screen. I have a 300BB +roll for it but most of my experience is at lower limits. I have sat 4-5 hours at 3/6 5Max tables and won decently but the swings were kind of wild.

Since I normally 4-table and dont want to lose my ass 4-tabling newer/higher limits I am assigning $200 of my BR to this Personal OIC.

First, I'd love to hear any feedback if any of you have done a personal OIC before--and then I will post results as they come in.

Second, my biggest question....Can I 2-table while doing a personal OIC. I know I can but then if one table is up and one is down I seem to find my self bought-in short at the down table and I like to always have at least 12BB in my stack in case I get the nuts.

Would this factor make you limit yourself to 1 table? I have more money in my roll--its just not on this site and it seems like it'd be hard to keep track of--I guess I could just add like an extra $100 pad and know that is there and subtract it out for my move up/move down decisions....

What have you guys done?

Thanks in advance,
Old 02-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Personal OIC...couple questions

Assigned $200 of my roll and will be starting at 2/4.

Seems like table selection is really key for this--I was using GT+ but need to get PlayerView installed so I can get better table stats without sitting.

Played 1-2 tables of 2/4 last night for about 3 hours before hitting my $300 mark and going to bed. I bought in with $100 on each. 1 table dropped as low as $18 at one point. I dropped as low as $120 overall at times--but found it manageable.

I was wishing I was 4 tabling--don't know how I will ever play B&M--so I guess thats a sign I was comfortable at the limit.

Now have $300--moving on up to 3/6 today. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Your post seemed a little fuzzy to me as far as what your specifically asking. Then again, I'll admit I glossed over it quickly, so if this seems offbase forgive me.

One thing I noticed right off is that you are concerned about the swings.

You shouldn't be.

You shouldn't be, because the OIC was never meant as a means to build a bankroll. Basically the intent was to start with a minimum investment - such as $50 - start at .50/$1.00 and within month see how far you could build that $50.

At specific intervals you would move either up or down depending on your sucess. So you see - the risk to your total bankroll should be very very minimal.

Also - Don't tie yourself to the quest. If you make it to the $5/$10 level, and take a large swing down and decide it's not for you - then quit your OIC. Be happy with whatever profit you take, before you inadvertantly tilt it away, or play scared poker and lose it that way.

2nd - you asked if you could multi-table. I think you are really tieing yourself to rigid guidelines. Going back to the original concept, the answer would be "no" - because the intent was to really focus on the level you were at - especially if you were playing at a higher level than your normal limit. That being said - don't feel like it's a MUST DO for you. If you want to multi-table - then by all means multi-table. It doesn't make the expereince any less rewarding. One could argue it will actually help you later on - having the expereince of 2, 3, or 4 tables demanding your attention.

I decided to do my own OIC this month. Started with $50 at .50/$1.00 and am now moving on to $3/$6. I'm multi-tabling. I am using the old benchmarks - which you can find using the search function pretty easily.

Good Luck in your quest. Remember, it's ok to tailor it to your own needs.

Most importantly though - the OIC is not nor ever was intended to be a means to quickly build a bankroll

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 07:08 PM

Just a terminology clarification here:

OIC stands for Open Internet Challenge. Therefore there's no such thing as a "personal" OIC. If you come up with a structure for an OIC, that means you're challenging other people to do it, regardless of whether you actually do it.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the note about terminology--sorry that could be misleading.

I got the phrase "personal OIC" from a response by theghost to a previous post--thats what he called it when he reccomended i try it. It made sense in my head at the time but your right--its really not "open" its just me. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Status update---I'm on fire! About 40min of 2 tables of 3/6 and I'm up the requisite $200 on top of my earlier $300. So now I'll be moving up to 5/10--at least momentarily. LOL

I never imagined I would ever be playing this high but its definitely fun.

I've noticed large differences in skill from .50/1 and 1/2 to the 2/4 and 3/6 levels. People are a lot more aware of whats actually going on at the table. I win less when I win but it feels more fun. I like the idea my opponent is using his brain.

Running well obviously being a huge part of it, I must say my personal "OIC-like" endeavor is a blast.

I think playing only two tables from my usual 4 is good. Nice to be able to play a little more attention. Also Playerview is awesome. I like AceMccoy's mods to it--so clear and simple.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 PM

That's the whole purpose of PIC, to experience higher levels with a limited risk. Sounds like you're running well too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 03:01 AM

Well I promised updates...not that I expected they would be coming so quickly. 5/10 6MAX was very good to me tonight.

I'm running very hot over the 540 hands since my PIC (Personal Internet Challenge)started--as this image will attest:

I started with $200 and currently have $1115 in my PIC roll.
This means I move to 10/20 tomorrow. What a trip!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:11 AM

I'm relatively new here. What exactly are you doing? What does it mean to do a PIC? It sounds interesting...can you provide a link with more detail, or offer an explanation?

Thanks,
pokerrookie
Old 02-10-2005, 03:15 AM

Set aside part of your bankroll. Once you hit or drop to a certain bankroll limit move up, or down. The idea is to advance as quickly as possible.