Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Hi, I\'m a noob here.

I felt that I needed to take the time to introduce myself here since there are always a lot of people who join forums just to be a pain. I'm really not one of those so I'd appreciate it if when you flame me, you also give me some sound criticism at the same time. That's the whole reason I joined. I wanted to learn to play better poker and do it online.

Some background:

I've been playing poker since I was a teenager and am 29 now. I've always done well at home games but never really took poker seriously until I moved to California. At some point I got interested enough to buy almost every single book written by Mason Malmuth and David Sklansky because of my math and psychology background. I've read them all and most several times over. That's how I ended up here reading these forums.

I started playing at cardrooms here in SoCal about 4 years ago and it tapered off between the 1st and 2nd year of playing. I did the math and keep records over the course of 2 years so I knew I was a profitable player at 3/6 and 4/8. But at 30 to 40 hands an hour, I couldn't justify the drive and time involved to get to a good table and play for my 2BB/hr. I just didn't put together the bankroll and guts to play higher limits.

Now all of a sudden I start reading about playing online and I wish I had done so 2 years ago. 4-tabling? 8-tabling? How is this possible? Poker Tracker? I'm amazed by the potential advantages.

So here in the last week I (for the challenge of it) used the Instant Bankroll from PSO and went to Party. I cashed out $213 from Party 2 days later and put that into Paradise with the GRANNY code. I took $90 from there the next day and signed up with Interpoker through a rakeback for the 90+90 bonus and finished out the Paradise bonus. So now, a week later I've turned the free $100 into around $400.

I know I've played well over 10K hands counting live play. But I honestly am not sure where my leaks might be. I tried to worked on it as best I could but now with PT I could pinpoint where they are so I'll be getting that in the next week or so. (also through another promotion)

Basically what I had planned on doing was reading and posting here with what I would do in relation to situations that are brought up for discussion and how I think about them. I don't mean to sound like I know it all. I am going to be posting with the expectation that if my reasoning is faulty somehow, it will be explained to me so I can learn. I don't think there's any better place than this forum to learn to be a better poker player.