Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 01:47 AM

Default I cold called with J8s

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) calls, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="green"> I figured the pot was going to be at least 6 handed. I'm on the button. The only decent players in the hand are UTG+1 and MP3.</font>

Flop: (15 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="green"> With backdoor straight and flush draws I figured I was getting odds to call. </font>

Turn: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds.

<font color="green"> Honestly, just now I realized the 3 paired the board. Oops. Anyway, how's the call here? I didn't want to raise because I wanted to keep the others in to give me proper odds for my flush draw. </font>

River: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

<font color="green"> Had I realized there were now 2 pair on board, I wouldn't have raised here. I just saw the Queen paired the board. Any thoughts on this hand as a whole? </font>

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 02-12-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: I cold called with J8s

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on this hand as a whole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It's atrocious.

Fold the frigging hand pre-flop. Then on the flop, you have at most 2 outs (1.5 for the flush, .5 for catching your runner-runner straight). For the love of all that is good and holy, fold.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 AM

Misplayed on every street.

PF: Fold this garbage.

Flop: Even getting 19:1, your 2 outs (1 for each backdoor) don't justify a call -- only if you give them 1.5 outs each are you mathmatically correct, but you're not closing the action (2 players have yet to act and could check-raise) and your flush might not be the nuts.

Turn: This call is fine, but being here is retarded.

River: Not realizing the board is double-paired is bush league. This is a horrific raise. I doubt CO has a 3, but he could easily have a Q. If he just has an A, then he wouldn't bet into you on this board -- and he certainly won't call a raise without a boat. (Unless he's just as retarded as you were during this hand).

Sorry -- I really disagree with how you handled this hand.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:35 AM

Please tell me: what is your screenname? I'd really like to play at your table(s).

You were a fish in that hand, what more do you want us to say??

Fold preflop. End of Discussion.

... oh, you want more advice?....Fold the f[/i]ucking flop. End of discussion.

My God, that was ugly......

Adam
Old 02-12-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me: what is your screenname? I'd really like to play at your table(s).

You were a fish in that hand, what more do you want us to say??

Fold preflop. End of Discussion.

... oh, you want more advice?....Fold the f[/i]ucking flop. End of discussion.

My God, that was ugly......

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

And having folded, spend some time practicing reading the f[/i]ucking board, for God's sake.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM

well I for one don't thikn the pf call is THAT bad. It's obviously not great, but it's not TERRIBLE, since it's gonna be VERY multiway. Flop call is bad. Turn call is obvious. I like the river raise, I don't know why anyone else disagrees. What hands do you put him on that you're behind? QQ, AA likely would've reraised preflop. 33 is POSSIBLE, but not likely, Q3 certainly not. You're really only behind AQ or 33. Not raising the river is terrible. He's obviously is not folding no matter what he has (other than random pure bluff), He might 3bet if he has a hand like KQ and is very aggro (you should probably not cap, but that'd be good for you).
Old 02-12-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the river raise, I don't know why anyone else disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't comment one way or the other on the river raise, as he shouldn't even be there.

Adam
Old 02-12-2005, 03:34 AM

Hey it looks like the Party fish started posting hand histories.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Misplayed on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

True Dat!

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2005, 04:26 AM

The preflop call is fine. In fact I think folding would be a mistake.

The flop call however is too loose.

EDIT: I read his hand as being T8s rather than J8s. I'd definitely call with T8s here preflop but I don't know about J8s. That said I think the vitriol expressed here is mislplaced. The preflop and flop plays are small mistakes at worst.