Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:03 PM

Default I know you are at work, but what would Amoeba do?

Last night, Pokerroom 50 Max NL, BB=.5

Preflop I have everyone covered. Villain and I are deepest, his stack is ~100. Villain is bigtime LAG - 70%/22%.

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. Villain is in the big blind.

Everyone is limping, raised by TAG to 2 from MP. I reraise to 6. Villain calls, everyone folds.

Flop (pot ~16)

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I bet 15, villain calls.

Turn (~48)
6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I check

River (pot ~48)
7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I check

Villain turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], MHIG. Could I have squeezed more from this? Anyone play the turn and river differently?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: I know you are at work, but what would Amoeba do?

Though I'm thinking a true maniac would have bet any spade here... You're not likely to get anymore money out of any bet here, unless they have a spade and think you might be bluffing.

The real question is... would you call him on the turn or river if he had bet? (And I don't know the answer to that one... I hate those kind of boards.)
Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM

i think you played it right. what i try to avoid most is putting the uberLAG into a position to bluff me successfully. if you bet on any of those rounds he made c/r and you almost surely have to lay it down (i would) even though it may likely be a bluff.

also, what was his post flop aggro? this is a key factor too, IMO.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you played it right. what i try to avoid most is putting the uberLAG into a position to bluff me successfully. if you bet on any of those rounds he made c/r and you almost surely have to lay it down (i would) even though it may likely be a bluff.

also, what was his post flop aggro? this is a key factor too, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not have enough hands to say, but he was pretty much betting all the time. I was grateful that he slowed down this once.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:53 PM

You played it fine in my opinion-- he just happened to have the one of the few hands that would've called a bet on the river with a 2nd best hand. Against his range of possible hands, I think its -EV to bet either the turn or river as he's likely to call with so many garbage spades that he wouldn't bet himself. You might be able to bet the turn for +EV long term (if he'll regularly call with two pair hoping to fill up against your "obvious" flush), but I doubt you give up much value by checking it through.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM

If Villian wasn't a bigtime LAG, you could bet the river in hopes of folding a tiny spade that would win at showdown but would be hesitant to call a river bet as well as getting a call from undersets / two pair. But, from your description of villian, it doesn't seem like he's folding any black cards at all, so a river bet probably isn't profitable in this situation.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 PM

Hey Tilt, I am all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think I would have bet the river to try to bluff him off a weak spade. probably $30.

I just don't think villain checks both streets with a spade higher than 9.

I don't want him to turn over 7s or something.