Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Default SB trap play

$25/$50 UB, folded to me in SB with A9o, I limp, he raises to $150 I call. Flop is Ah 5h 3c, I check he bets $300, I call. Turn is 8s, I check he checks. River is 3h, I check he bets $900 instantly. Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: SB trap play

This is probably very player dependent. If this player is a habitual bluffer, I like. If this player is a semi-bluffer, I don't like.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:27 PM

I'm calling
Old 01-30-2005, 03:36 AM

i think the fact that you didn't bet the entire hand entices this river bet. why not bet out somewhere (anywhere) to really get information of where you are in the hand?

from someone who had no right to tell you what to do -
Old 01-30-2005, 03:32 PM

Without any information on your opponent, here's how I see it: It looks to me like you got exactly what you wanted by playing your hand that way. You checked to this guy three times. I don't think he needs to have your Ace beaten to bet this river but I don't think you can raise, either, so I would call his river bet.

SpaceAce
Old 01-30-2005, 04:19 PM

Why did you call his preflop raise...if he's stealing so what you lose 25 bucks, now you have lost 1200 because of your lack of aggression. You have no idea where you stand in the hand. Unless you have a good read on the opponent I would just lay this down preflop. I would say you are behind a substantial proportion of the time here. Also, a lot of the time that you are ahead you will fold to this river bet. I don't see why you played this hand. I absolutely hate check calling with this hand.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:31 PM

im calling just b/c how you played the hand your opponent probably thinks your weak, so hes just making a normal bluff, which can be expected here, due to your play. The way i see it either he made his flush or hes just making a stone cold bluff there, eiher way im calling

-anto
Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 PM

If you are just going to check/call this hand with that board the whole way through why'd you bother calling the raise in the first place? No flop aside from trip nines or two pair is going to feel safe for you.
Being the raiser preflop would've been better than limping and calling that raise.
As for the play after you call, I think its very player dependent. You could've led the turn, let him know you have an Ace if you think he'd only raise with a hand that beats you. If he could make a raise with a flush draw or QQ then I think I take your line. Without a read cross your fingers and call the bet on the river.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Geeksquared/Deftoner

Respectfully, I think you may be unqualified to analyze much less deride Bruiser's play here.

fim
Old 01-30-2005, 07:22 PM

Default A General Thought

Hey Bruiser,

Here's a tip that I have based on your recent posts. I am generally fond of a check-call line in more spots than the average player. But, except in rare instances, it is NOT a good line against tough, tricky players like those that are found in the UB 25/50. Many of these players are not going to bluff much more often than is correct from a game theory perspective, and the "bet pot" button will make it tougher to read them. You will constantly be in tough spots that you will have to try to read your way out of.

My advice: tighten up out of position and make yourself a player to be feared. Leave the check-call line for those players who you know will fire two or three barrels with nothing.

In this hand, I happen to think your hand is good. He might have a three, a flush, or a better ace, but I think he could also have a ton of no-pair hands that he is betting because he can't win a showdown.

ML4L