Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Those damn fish

So I decided to play in the 1500 guaranteed tourney a couple nights ago, and those damn fish were at it again!!!

I play tight for about 20 minutes, and then get KdKh on the CO. Blinds 15/30. UTG limps, MP1 limps, I raise to 160. UTG calls, MP1 calls. Damnit, what could these folks be limping and calling my raise with?

Flop comes Ah-Ks-6s. UTG bets 400 into the about 500 pot, MP1 goes all-in?????? What the hell? I know for a fact I have the best hand right now, unless I'm against AA, which I guess I'll accept at this point. So I reraise all-in, UTG calls. All our stacks were around 2000 at the start. UTG turns over As-7h, MP1 turns over Qs-Jh!

Turn comes 2d, River 3d. The damn fish give me a nice pot of about 6000. I'm in fifth place overall.

In hour two I'm doing pretty well, I'm second at my table with about 9k. Chip leader is two to my right with about 13k. Blinds are 150-300. I'm dealt AhQh UTG+1, raise to 700. Chip leader calls in MP2. Folds to BB, who calls.

Flop comes down As-6h-3h. Couldn't have hit my hand much better. I bet 600 to keep the other two in the hand (which I guess is usually a problem because you will get sucked out on, but.....). Chip leader raises to 3k????? Damn bastard probably had A-6 or something I guess, and I'm forced to play with the chip leader as the BB folds. Well, even against the A-6 I'm still getting really good odds. So I call. Turn is a useless 10s.

I don't know how to play this hand exactly, because chip leader has been semi-loose and has played some fishy hands. At this point I either have around 15 outs or am ahead against a weaker ace.

Well, I check to see what he does, and he puts me all-in. Well, I guess looking at my EV, I'd say about half the time he has two pair and half the time he has a weaker ace than I do, or possibly I give him some credit and he has A-K. But overall, I think it's a +EV play for me (and UB doesn't give much time to think about these things....)

He turns over K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SOB better not hit his flush.... oh wait I have the better flush draw. I become the dominating chip leader when a blank hits the river.

When will the poor play ever stop???? I mean, it's absolutely impossible to play against these guys! They are so loose and play so much crap that they suck out on me all the time.

Any way that I can find a way to beat the fish in these low buy-in tourneys?

Brad
Old 02-07-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Those damn fish

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] well done.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Great post.

As I like to remind 2+2ers, "you were begging for the call."
Old 02-07-2005, 06:36 PM

After reading your post, your Question was sarcastic right?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Fantastic post.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 PM

plagerizer!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's the original Joe Tall post

I'm a big fan of that post as well.

Well done.

Woodguy
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 PM

har har. Good post.

I watched Prime Time for a few hands last night during the 350K just to see what the play was like at the $215 tournaments. It's much easier against the fish, trust me. That was one tight table. I think once I get to that level I'll long for the days when my kings got 3-way action every time I played them.

I think most of us know that it's infinitely easier against the fish, it's just that the beats are mentally frustrating and there are so many (for all-in a lot of the time) of them with the low-buy mantra - "cold-call".
Old 02-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Ya, I should've gave credit to the original Joe Tall post, as it was the one that inspired me way back when to stop my whining and just beat the fish.

We all take our bad beats and all, but thank god for these types of players. The more that want to try and suckout on me with flush draws and straight draws the better. Period.

Brad
Old 02-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Poser. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Glad to see you have learned to Enjoy a Bad Beat(click here).

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall