Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Need advice: How to take $1K and get into the WSOP

What is the smartest way? I know very little about this.
I have heard that in Vegas you can play in $1000 SNG's right up to WSOP time, but I'd prefer to try to qualify via online multi's, trying several of them and hoping I get lucky.

...when would they start? Does Party have them?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Need advice: How to take $1K and get into the WSOP

Do a search. I think there was a recent post that PS would start their satelites late February/early March with 600 seats up for grabs. They will probably be lots of different mtts with low buy-in qualifiers to big dollar qualifiers, and some fpp qualifies.

If your SnG game is good, try the Double Shoot-outs where you essentially play two single tables in a row. You have to win both tables to get the WSOP entry. Entry will probably be $160-180 but if you make the second table, it becomes a freeroll because they award back the buy-in.

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Curious as to why youd prefer online tournies when the consensus(that ive read) seems to be that the fields in live satellite play are about as weak as you can find??

Not flaming just asking here.

Oh, BTW I think the best way would be through STT.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:03 PM

I hadn't heard that the live qualifying tourneys were weaker...interesting, as I find the live multis in general a bit stronger than the regular multi's online.

So, the likes of Commerce/Bicycle etc have qualifying tourneys too?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:07 PM

I'm more or less in the same situation as you: I have a $1,000 put aside and will be spending a couple of weeks in Vegas around the main event. My plan is to qualify online using my online bankroll, and keep my grand as a emergency bail-out. I have no reason to believe - or experience to substantiate - that live sat's are easier to beat then online sats. My experience with live sats for major tournaments (and I have actually won a few of these) is that the structure is much faster than your average online sat, leaving much more up to luck and less to skill.

If I manage NOT to qualify for the Big One online in advance my plan is - depending on my confidence - either to play a few of the $135 buy-in double shootouts that are offered around in Vegas before the Big One (hey, you only need to beat 18 players to get in, how hard can that be?), or to skip the Big One and play one of the $1,000 buy-in one-day 'second chance' tournaments that's announced on Harrah's WSOP site. My guess is that the players here will be so bummed out from busting out of the main event that it's going to be one big tilt-fest.

Good Luck!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 02-07-2005, 03:33 PM

"My experience with live sats for major tournaments (and I have actually won a few of these) is that the structure is much faster than your average online sat"

Totally agree, that's why I would prefer the online route.

"play one of the $1,000 buy-in one-day 'second chance' tournaments that's announced on Harrah's WSOP site."

These take place AFTER the WSOP? I.e. not a bracelet event?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Its a bracelet event im sure, If you're looking for sites that are already running WSOP, Jetsetpoker.com is running them for as little as $ 3Rebuys, i qualified to the event on sunday by winning my seat for $ 11, into the $ 33 and my AQ ran into AK twice in a row or i'd have been damn close to getting a seat. I'm not an affliate there or anythings so i'm not tryin to do that whole bit, but try it out. Players there suck and they have a deposit bounus running right now. Hope this helps.