Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Greektown bluff

I've just been moved to the main table and I've played about 3 or 4 orbits where no one has gotten out of line and the table is playing so tight it's gross. There are about 6 rocks and a few good/tricky/smart/aggressive players. Obviously this is a horrible game to play in, but I've been wanting to test my game against actually good players and this is the best I'm ever going to get at greektown.

Anyway, the SB (Brian for the regulars) in the hand just got moved over and he is a little too loose, not very aggressive, he doesn't bet his draws but he calls with them, and he has shown that he lays down hands. i.e. he raised substantial preflop and folded to a turn bet on an A high board showing KK. Anyway, I've played with him a lot and thought I knew him pretty well.

I open-raise to $25 with 6s5s from CO-1, I haven't shown many hands and I've been slowly bleeding chips due to called stabs at small pots, I started with about 1300 but I have about 900 at the time. This open raise means nothing but I am a known nut-peddler most of the time in this game, so people assume when I put money in I have the goods. Folded around to SB (has me covered) who reraises to 75, I call.

Flop T72 2 diamonds

He bets 150, I call.

Turn Ace of diamonds.

He bets 200, I raise all in.

In general, if I want to try plays like these I probably need more than 900 to begin the hand, huh?

Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention, it's 2-5-5 blinds.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Greektown bluff

Your playing the Ace you don't have or the Diamond draw you don't have. It's probably a good move at the turn, I just don't understand why you called the flop.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your playing the Ace you don't have or the Diamond draw you don't have. It's probably a good move at the turn, I just don't understand why you called the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

planned to move in on a diamond and gauge the reaction of teh bettor to the call.

-Barron
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Dubious play imho. I know Doyle Brunson in his writings talks about trying to pick up double gutshots to try and bust people. If this is what it takes to be great, I'm afaid I'm destined to be mediocre.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM

he didnt call on the flop to try to make a hand. He called to bluff later.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Omigod, do people really do that in real life?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 PM

first Usagi- all the time.

second AZ- Not against Brian. I know that you can get him to fold a lot of hands, but not when he's opening 200. If you wanted to make that play, I'd have looked for a bet of 50-75 or if he checks the turn check with, make the move on the river. Don't get me wrong, you have balls to make that play, and I respect that, but I think that with that table the best way to grind your money back out is to start limping religiously from late position and breaking them on small flops.
-incidently, that's how the table was last time I went. I'm gone for six months and you've killed all my fish??? lol Nice play. Get em next time.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Your bluff might have worked better if the turn had been a lower diamond. If the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is on the board, you would have had to be drawing to a non-nut flush. Not impossible, especially heads up, but if I were thinking about what you had, I would consider this.

The A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and your preflop raise would make me think you had an A in your hand. A preflop call with AK and no flush draw would be pretty loose, so maybe AT representing the flush?

Anyway, I think he has to give you credit for at least a pair of aces, so he should lay down pocket KK-JJ. Two pair is a tougher decision, but he's not likely to have AT here. Easy call for any set: even if you have the flush, he's (almost) got odds to make his boat.

If I had to guess (knowing that he probably called you and won), I'd say he has AA here.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:36 PM

Hey E,

You know brian the weird looking guy that loves to chase his flush draws and smokes winstons? He's a nice guy, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same Brian. Ha, the main table has turned into a war between granite and marble, it's almost makes sense to go just to stay on the must-move table and then leave when you rname gets called come back in 2 hours and sign up again.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Omigod, do people really do that in real life?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the gems that surface many years later after a WPT appearance or two [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]