Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Plateaued at mid-lmits?? Cross-post

I dont want to be what i am forever...

what is there to study to get to where i want to be??

i've exhausted everything but re-reading and posting and talking about hands at the limits i play...

im going through pokertracker as much as possible to look for leaks but i can't necessarily knoww hat i'm looking for...

specifically, folding a pot on the turn or river when you're and odds favorite to win it is a huge mistake...how do you detect that??

not reraising AA to a turn c'r (which i have not done nearly enough) or just calling down when i should raise or reraise the river (thus the reraise on the river post with AA) are also mistakes...how can i know and identify them

anyways, i dont know what else i can do and since i played last, my win rate is higher, but thats a bad sign...to me it means that im just tweaking small things in my game...just like i did when i played lower limits and then moved up...its bad because if i stay here for TOO long, it becomes HABIT!! and once that happens it takes 2x as much work to UNLEARN what inow do instinctively.

i talk with posters and do what i can...but to play higher (which is a goal of mine as a hobby eventually) i'll need to improve more than i can imagine..

i know i need experience. higher level thinking at the spur of the moment is something i only experience playing other players like james282 and clark while playing drunk as bleep 2-4-8-8 or 2/4 low limit...and i don't do that well as i always get made fun of for missing bets or whatever (i.e. james282's free card play when i had bottom pair and raised Td7d utg and he cold called after two friends cold called...i bet the flop and he raises and i go ahead and check a turn blank!!...damn i suck...OR the times i miss river bets and raises....OR even worse, when clark's boss makes fun of me for misplaying a hand)

clearly playing drunken low limits against good players is not a proxy for playing high limit...but it does show that i have trouble doing it FAST and off kilter at the spur of the moment...

where did you guys (mike l., ray zee, DS, MM, J.A. Sucker etc..) get your experience and how?

-Barron
Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Plateaued at mid-lmits?? Cross-post

While determining a syllabus to a poker player's education is probably a good topic for discussion, what you're talking about is pretty simple.

Play. Get confused. Post those situations. Get feedback. Adjust. Repeat.

Get James282 to observe your play for an hour. I did that last night and it is extremely helpful.

The only other thing I can think of is to try to understand the math of poker as thoroughly as possible. It's probably faster than accumulating the vast experience it takes to make on the fly correct decisions across the various games and limits.