Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 AM

Default ace with small kicker

I'm on the BB with A6o, 7 callers

Flop:7d7hAc

It's checked around and someone in late position bets(8.5 bets to me) What should I do?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: ace with small kicker

This one slipped by w/o any responses. I'd like to see other's thoughts, so I'm bumping it....

I just have some more or less obvious observations. The pot is big. You have 2 pair, but your kicker sucks. You're way behind if someone is holding a 7. You're also behind anyone holding a bigger ace, but probably have some hidden outs since there was no pf raise. However, a lot of your outs will only get you half the pot.

Raising here may get it heads up with the button, who may be betting a weaker hand (like a pocket pr.). But you'd probably have to dump it if someone else suddenly shows strength.

Just calling saves you a bet if someone else check-raises the flop and you can lay it down. Also, I don't think you mind that much if others stay in here with what would be very weak draws.

Folding to the LP bet doesn't seem right in a big pot when you may have the best hand. I think I'd call and see what happens next.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:00 PM

I think you have to raise otherwise you are stuck to the river without a damn clue where you stand. You sure as hell can't fold.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, let's say I do raise, there are a couple of callers between us and the better re-raises. Assuming he's not a tricky player, now I'm thinking he has a seven (maybe AK, AQ). I can confidently fold, right?

Now, say I call and a couple of players behind me also call. If the turn comes a seven or an ace (how about any face card?) I'm a happy camper and I'm betting out. Otherwise I'm checking and calling?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Actually, if you get that much action, you have pot odds to call the 3 bet and hope for aces full on the next card. It's also good for image. If you don't hit it, you should probably just check/call one bet.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Many times you will be chopping the pot with another A, and at worst you are outkicked or against trips.

This isn't a hand to get all crazy about, folding will not cost you much, but playing a weak hand like this all the way to the river will cost you at least two bets.

With regards to check-raising. I think there are two problems with this play. (pretend the turn is a blank)

If you check-raise the flop what are you going to do on the turn? check again? If you do, and villian bets out again are you going to call or fold? Both tough decisions because we are unsure of how the rest of the field will act. Will they raise, fold, or call?

Betting on the turn (after the check-raise) is no good either because if you are raised, you will again have to fold....

A vulnerable hand with no position makes a fold a good play. Sometimes weak-tight is ok in these situations.

Note: I would rather bet out on this flop then check/call. That is what makes this hand tough to play.. :P
Old 02-03-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, if you get that much action, you have pot odds to call the 3 bet and hope for aces full on the next card. It's also good for image. If you don't hit it, you should probably just check/call one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche. A clear call. My bad.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Raise.