Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 10:16 PM

Default K10s...it sucks!

obviously this hand plays itself post flop. but results not withstanding, is this preflop play wildly incorrect? borderline? okay? if i intend to play this hand, should i just go ahead and raise preflop? really worried about the preflop play in this one (in case you couldn't tell) but all comments are welcome. flame away. oh, and i almost forgot...no specific reads!

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (14 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB
Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: K10s...it sucks!

Preflop depends a lot on reads, but with an UTG raise and a CC, I'd dump it.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:08 AM

Yes it is read dependent, but with a cold caller and loose blinds I would make this call quite often. Any UTG player that raises hands like any pair or any A, or any suited broadway (as is often the case at $1/$2) you can make this call. Against a tight UTG then it would have to be KQs, looser games KJs, QJs, KTs become more playable. You have position.

The rest of the hand is played to perfection IMO, flop raise is a must.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:19 AM

You played well post flop but a pre flop fold is standard.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:33 AM

I have run into a boatload of these hands recently and am still looking for the optimum way to play them. It all comes down to the reads for me.

If UTG is tight or a real good player this is a fold for me. I run into dominating hands too much to play it here. Also, if you end up playing it for draw value, then a good player is going to make that difficult for you.

If UTG is a loose raiser (something in the range of 25% of PFR) then I'd be more inclined to call. However, before you call you must consider how loose the blinds are too. If you can count on at least one, and hopefully two of them to call here then you can safely play this hand I think.

As a final note I just realized this is 1/2 and your opponents frequently meet the second set of standards I mentioned, from what I can remember anyways. Well played post-flop and nice pot there.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:58 AM

I fold preflop unless raiser pfr is 20%+

Krishan