Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Trouble in EP with draws

I seem to guess at my proper strategy when I'm in EP with decent draws. Here's an example of a hand I won, but was uncertain about my line. Thoughts?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Trouble in EP with draws

A K hi flop without draws in an unraised pot is the textbook board for bluffing from the blinds. This flop is K hi with a heart draw, but you have the hearts, so fire away.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:00 PM

I seem to have much better results with check raising and firing away on turn, as I did in this hand. Partyers have a helluva time folding on the flop, but they will respect the checkraise. Say you bet and are called. Do you fire away again on the turn?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:06 PM

I think betting out or checkraising the flop when its checked to button who bets is fine. If I bet out and am called, I definately bet out on the turn. You will get called by all sorts of garbage on the flop that they will release on the turn. The one exception is if the caller is a tighty who likes to slow play big pairs, then I check the turn. If they call the turn and you wiff the river you have a tougher decision to make.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:37 PM

Hi,

I think you played this fine, and I'll often play this hand exactly the same. If you think there's much chance your opponents will fold unimproved though, you're probably better off just mucking. The problem with this line is that you're basically forced to continue firing even when you miss, which is most of the time.

If your opponents won't fold a pair when you bet this flop though, your line is good.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 01-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would bet the flop. you have a fair chance of taking it down, and most people that will eat a checkraise are beating you. i'd need a good reason to think i'd get bluffed at to try a checkraise here.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:51 AM

i think betting out and checkraising the flop are both perfectly reasonable options. My play would depend on how likely the opponent is to blindly bet the flop when checked to in a pot against only the blinds, as well as the likelihood that he will mindlessly call the checkraise on the flop (which i feel like most party 15/30 players do. I feel like many players in that game are just as likely to fold the turn after the c/r on the flop as they are to fold the flop to a bet.

I really have to disagree you here: [ QUOTE ]
most people that will eat a checkraise are beating you

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2005, 03:39 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

his hand is jack high. if somebody actually calls a checkraise, it's not anything to be immediately proud of.