Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Game Show Network: Battle of the Sexes

Stupid idea, good players, TERRIBLE commentary.

i love poker and want to watch good players play, but i can't bear the horrible chatter.

discuss.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Game Show Network: Battle of the Sexes

I agree, the commentary is incredibly cheesy. Robert Williamson does a decent job, but the main commentator and the female (I think she's a comedian) obviously know very little about poker. They just do a tiresome girls are better then guys, guys are better then girls routine. Another thing that really bites about the tournaments is that the players don't have deep stacks at all, so it makes for some pretty boring poker with a lot of coin flips. The structure reminds me of the show from england, Poker Millions, where there is very little play due to escalating blinds and small starting stacks.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:12 PM

I found Williamson did a very good job in the first Poker Royale - where Kevin Nealon actually allowed Williamson to do his job. The two nitwits are not letting Williamson do his job to his ability.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, the commentary is incredibly cheesy. Robert Williamson does a decent job, but the main commentator and the female (I think she's a comedian) obviously know very little about poker. They just do a tiresome girls are better then guys, guys are better then girls routine. Another thing that really bites about the tournaments is that the players don't have deep stacks at all, so it makes for some pretty boring poker with a lot of coin flips. The structure reminds me of the show from england, Poker Millions, where there is very little play due to escalating blinds and small starting stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

righty; stack size is an issue. i watched the second one yesterday. when esfandiari and flack got heads up it was all in just about every time. not only was more complicated play impossible b/c of the stacks, i got the feeling they didn't care much. maybe the money is thin, and they had to do the whole thing in 2 days? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

it coulda been good.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:07 PM

These were essentially 1-table satellites. 6 preliminaries, and the final table. And yes, all 7 were filmed in 2 days. The structure made for a time frame of 2.5 hours per event, approximately.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)