Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 09:57 AM

Default \"Good Beat\" Story

In the spirit of remembering your "good beats", check this one out:

Villain is normally solid, tight, player. However, Villain had raised 3 straight hands without a showdown. The table had some bad players, so I suspect Villain was trying to isolate. Knowing that, my PFR was to isolate Villain.

Didn't work, but let to the "good beat".

No reads on the Victim. Victim went all-in on the turn, which makes it less of a good beat, but I'm posting it anyway.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $3.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button <font color="#A500AF">(Victim)</font> calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> calls.

Flop: (14.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Victim 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain caps</font>, Hero calls, Victim calls.

Turn: (13.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villain calls.

River: (17.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls.

Final Pot: 19.16 BB

Hero shows [ 3d, 3c ] four of a kind, threes.
Victim doesn't show [ Jh, Jc ] a full house, Jacks full of threes.
Villain doesn't show [ As, Js ] two pairs, jacks and threes.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: \"Good Beat\" Story

Easy fold preflop.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sticking my neck out here....

If there is a reasonable chance that the first limper AND blinds will fold, then 3 betting this pre-flop certainly isn't the worst thing to do.

Hero had a read that PF raiser was a solid player - so it's easier to put him on a range of hands. Big Aces, Big Kings can be exploited when they miss the flop.

If however, one of the blinds doesn't cooperate or the limper doesn't fold for two extra bets...well then you'd better spike that three.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

edit: though I've been reading more and more, most recently Poker Essays II, that states isoloation raises are signs of a good player, trying to get too fancy....

meh. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM

raising three times in a row does not mean that they were not legitimate raises. nor does it mean this raise wasn't legitimate.

this line of thinking is precisely how OTHER people make money. you 3-bet with marginal holdings you should fold, and more often than not, you get reamed for it.

at least you suck out g00t!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:19 PM

i don't think it's the worst thing to do... i disagree with the reasoning behind it, though.

if this was prefaced by something like: "this guys been taking shots all night long" or "i find i absolutely pwn this guy after the flop, and he can be pushed off overcards on the flop/turn by aggressive play" then i'd agree a lot more... but this seems like a: "this solid player has raised a bunch in a row! no one raises a bunch of times in a row! i think i'll 3-bet him now when i'm, at best, about 50-50 to win against someone who might have me dominated!"

if that wasn't the case, and just the tone i picked up from the post... then i agree.

regardless, it wasn't the worst thing to do. calling was the worst thing.