Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Foxwoods rules re: showing cards HU

I was talking to an acquaintance at Foxwoods over the weekend who said that, in a HU pot, he went allin (1/2 NL game) on the flop and the opponent was considering a call. My acquaintance then flipped his cards over to show he'd flopped a small flush (I guess he wanted the other guy to fold a naked A rather than call and possibly run him down). Is this legal there? I thought I'd heard that showing cards during a hand was not permitted in either cash games or tournament games at Foxwoods but I wanted to double check. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods rules re: showing cards HU

I'm not sure about the rules, but I see nothing wrong with doing this. He's making the game complete for his opponent. Now his opponent knows his exact odds. Your aquaintance isn't gaining any information. His participation in the hand is over.

The exposing the cards rulings that I've heard deal with multiway pots (showing early to try and stop a bet) or HU showing when you are pondering your action to try and get a read off your opponent.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM

I have shown 1 card and both while heads up at Foxwoods and have never had anything said to me. On a funny note, I held KQ on an A J 10 3 board, guy to my left bets $50 into a $35 pot. It gets folded to me and while I am deciding to call or raise the villian thought everyone folded. He turned up his cards showing A 10. Dealer says I'm still in. I push for his remaining $270. Before he does anything, I flip up my cards to show him the straight. He thinks for a bit longer and calls! No help for him and I take his money. I love the 1/2NL at the Woods.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have shown 1 card and both while heads up at Foxwoods and have never had anything said to me. On a funny note, I held KQ on an A J 10 3 board, guy to my left bets $50 into a $35 pot. It gets folded to me and while I am deciding to call or raise the villian thought everyone folded. He turned up his cards showing A 10. Dealer says I'm still in. I push for his remaining $270. Before he does anything, I flip up my cards to show him the straight. He thinks for a bit longer and calls! No help for him and I take his money. I love the 1/2NL at the Woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...I hope the games are this juicy when I'm there this weekend.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM

I can say with a high level of certainty that they will be. I play the 1/2 NL almost every weekend and I've yet to sit at a tough table. At worst, there will be up to two other people who have ever even heard the phrase "pot odds".
Old 02-01-2005, 07:12 PM

I guess he wanted the other guy to fold a naked A rather than call and possibly run him down)

I don't know what the rule is by your boy has a lot to learn about poker.

Go Pats!
Joe Tall
Old 02-02-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he wanted the other guy to fold a naked A rather than call and possibly run him down)

I don't know what the rule is by your boy has a lot to learn about poker.

Go Pats!
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he was correct in this decision to want that ace out. Maybe the naked ace would've had odds to call his all-in anyway (I didn't get a detailed account of the action) so he wanted him to make an incorrect fold. Maybe he just wanted to win what was in the pot right there to get enough of a stack to make a big score against someone else with a lot of chips on the table and no clue about the game. He's a nice guy and a so-so player; I never claimed him to be anything else.