Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Need some newbie tips for home game

Hello NL forum [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] hehe

Anyway ive only been playing poker for about a month. I read ITH and just started SSH. I usually play .5/1 online but im going to a home game with some guys from school and its a no limit game.

These people cant be very good at all. I know i will have a advantage but i also know it wont be that great and i could still lose easily. So basically im looking for tips on how to play NL and the basic differences between limit and NL.

Any advice is appreciated
Old 01-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Need some newbie tips for home game

first, post this in home poker section.

second, be agressive, play your opponents more than the cards. I don't know I don't have any type os system but I usually beat my buddies in our weekly NL game. Just keep them guessing. bluff semi-often
Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM

I just moved over from LHE and I will say this. I didn't give loose players credit for improbable two pairs and other hands, and lost some big pots. In LHE when your AK loses to K3 on a K3x board your exposure is limited (maybe lose a couple extra bets). In NL it costs you your stack. Be careful with a hand that only contains a pair. Also, don't tie the size of your raises with the quality of your hand. 3x-5xBB pre flop raise when you want to narrow the competition, and raise half to the full size of the pot post flop. Last, your implied oddds are much greater with speculative hands. You can play pocket pairs and suited connectors where you normally wouldn't in LHE.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM

thanks for the reply.

i thought it would be better off here because the main topic is how to play NL. I thought home games had mostly stuff about how to set up a tournament and such...

Also what kind of hands should i start with... Tight, Loose? im assuming the opponents will be fairly loose.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM

Seems like the right forum to me. The subject is really low stakes NL, not something only applicable to home games.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:15 PM

If you have not played them before don't assume they are loose, or probably suck compared to you.
Work on building some reads.