Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Default what to do when you start sucking

I'm sucking at poker. As in "I don't feel like I'm playing well." I play 3/6, and I'm considering moving back down to 2/4, because I'm making a lot of mistakes at 3/6. I don't think my play has anything to do with 3/6 -- it's just that my game is really bad these days. Maybe it's that I've always sucked and I just now realize it, but I seem to be making a lot of random decisions (because I'm not sure what the "right" play is). I used to play very strongly and confidently, but that's gone now. I also relax too much during the upswings, and take the downswings too hard.

Here's where I am: I'm leaking (not hemorrhaging) money at 3/6. I'm losing about 1BB/100 over the last 8K hands (for comparison, prior to 3/6 I earned 3BB/100 over 60K hands). Bonuses, rakeback, etc., have kept my BR in the black -- I actually have about 450BB for 3/6. But it's a steady downhill slide, plus I don't feel like I'm playing well at all.

I see two options:

1) Stay at 3/6 and just tough it out (as long as my BR holds out). Post hands, read books, all that stuff that got me here. When the cards start coming, my confidence will come back (or something like that). I'm just not convinced that I'll ever get there.

2) Move down to 2/4 and rebuild my confidence. I know that I can win at 2/4. However, I'm worried that I won't learn as much, since my mistakes won't be properly punished.

I also got a third suggestion from a 2+2'er: move to 1/2 6-max. The short-handed play will provide a lot of post-flop practice (I feel like my post-flop play is suffering right now).

I'm starting every session with trepidation now, and I know that's not the way to win. I need to figure out a way to fix this.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: what to do when you start sucking

Play 2/4 ... if you 4-table, drop 2... Don't feel pressured to make a certian number of hands/month. Try new games. Make poker fun.

When I run like crap, I find that it's usually me trying to do "too much" and forgetting that poker is a fun game.

There are plenty of other things you can do and approaches to take. This is what helps me, however.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 PM

what to do when you start sucking

eww.

Seriously though, with what specifically do you feel you're having trouble?

The answer to that should affect in a large way where you move (if at all), since 1/2, 1/2 sh, 2/4, and 3/6 all have different lessons, etc.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Sounds like your stale/burnt out. When I feel that coming on I change things up for a couple days to a week.

Play some mico-limit O8, 7-Stud, or micro buy in tournies.

I find playing other forms of poker recharges me. Plus it restarts the learning process. Right now ot seems that you may be stuck on auto-pilot. Playing another game, especially one that you KNOW that you have not mastered, gets you used to thinking at the table again.

Plus learning other games is something you should do anyway. I prefer this to the "take a break" from poker approach, because it will relax you and still keep you sharp.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your stale/burnt out. When I feel that coming on I change things up for a couple days to a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point -- I am a little worn out on hold 'em.

I love O8 and play it for fun in home games, but I really don't have any idea how to play it competitively (other than the fact that you should fold any hand without an ace). Do you know of any decent websites with info for beginners? And are the Party games decent (i.e., easy)?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 PM

i've been out of the game recently, not through boredom, but because of my degree. I have 2 years of grinding out a 2:1 or first (B or A) rather than a winrate.

Anyway, I am dabbling in the limited spare time i have on $2 or $5 O8 SNGs on the Gaming Club. I find that playing against these micro-tourney people, with the skills i've learnt from hold 'em, has helped me learn the game pretty well. Not $30+3 SNG well, but i think if you are burned out and tired, playing in some very low limit omaha SNGs will help you "learn" the game nice and quickly, and then you can get books etc. on it.

The forum is a bit weak for Omaha8 posts...

Hope you get the hunger back. Don't force it, either don't play OR switch to a "new" variant. That spark of education will return to hold 'em in time.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 02-07-2005, 08:21 PM

The Party games are about as easy as they get, although
UB has a super soft .25-.50.

Steve Badger's site has good info on O/8, check it out.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The answer to that should affect in a large way where you move (if at all), since 1/2, 1/2 sh, 2/4, and 3/6 all have different lessons, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have been covered in a previous post, but what are the lessons to be learned at each level. I would be interested in hearing your ideas on this. Would make me comfortable if I ever decided to move beyond 1/2 full.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Basically 1/2 is about learning how to play in tight games. Table selection is key here. 1/2 sh is about selective aggression--when to be overaggro and when to fold a strong hand. Moroever, certain lines have more equity in sh than just bet-bet-bet. 2/4 is about learning value bets, pretty much. Also, the players tend to be more aggressive and a little bit better (though not by much). 3/6 is about more aggressive, tricky players.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:23 PM

When I start sucking I start not wanting to play poker. Soooo - I like the suggestion of taking a quick stop at the 1/2 6-max - That is a fun place. If you are feeling like the 3/6 game is a drag and a grind switch over to 1/2 6-max a play 10-20K hands. 6-max is a more exciting and fast paced game that will teach you the hand reading and aggression that you need at 3/6. Play 10 handed 2/4 until you regain your confidence - try to work in some 3/6 hands to get used to the game at that level.