Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 02:16 AM

Default NL Winrates Live >>> NL Winrates Online?

Overall there seems to be much more info, much deeper money and much much worse players live than online. There also are far fewer hands dealt per hour, so do the comparable BB/100 standards hold? Do the good frequent live gamers out there make much more per hand in relation to the blinds than the internet gurus? What about hourly?

fim
Old 01-20-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: NL Winrates Live >>> NL Winrates Online?

No live player can compete with you internet players who get 240+hands/hour, that being said, I play much more profitably in person. It's a cominbation of reading players, the live interaction/feel and also the physical quantity of money. I would say that you may make more money an hour at the same limit since you could be 5-tabling, but on a per table basis I think I make more money live (even with the extra hands you get). But this might be due to how deep the game I play plays and how horrible the players are.

I also happen to spew chips online when I get frustrated/bored or the table is playing really tight, because it doesn't feel like real money, it's just a digital number, but when I lose 1/3 of my stack in real life, I actually see it going across the table. Make any sense?

Side issue, on the internet you may be able to make more money in hour due to sheer # of hands, but live I think I make more money in the same situations/with the same hands that I play on the internet. Make sense?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 AM

I have no useful information to give about your question, as Ive only playd live a couple times at the low limits, but I have wondered the same thing. The rake is also siginificantly larger live, which Im sure seems like a nominal difference in the heat of play, but will really add up over time. Just by sheer force of arithmetic, its hard to believe players at anything by the pretty high limits could make more money playing 20-25 hands an hour live than 5 tabling and getting 250+ per hour online. That said, there's not much opportunity to play deep stack poker online, so if thats what you're into I suppose its a different case. I simply cant see, however, how a winning 15/30 or 30/60 limit player, or a 2-4 or 5-10 NL player, would make more money live over the long haul.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No live player can compete with you internet players who get 240+hands/hour, that being said, I play much more profitably in person. It's a cominbation of reading players, the live interaction/feel and also the physical quantity of money. I would say that you may make more money an hour at the same limit since you could be 5-tabling, but on a per table basis I think I make more money live (even with the extra hands you get). But this might be due to how deep the game I play plays and how horrible the players are.

I also happen to spew chips online when I get frustrated/bored or the table is playing really tight, because it doesn't feel like real money, it's just a digital number, but when I lose 1/3 of my stack in real life, I actually see it going across the table. Make any sense?

Side issue, on the internet you may be able to make more money in hour due to sheer # of hands, but live I think I make more money in the same situations/with the same hands that I play on the internet. Make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up my situation, too, though I don't play particularly high either live or online. One big plus to playing live is the slower turnover rate. Playing online, it seems players leave just when I've got a good read on how they play (possibly not a coincidence, there) but live players are usually there long enough for me to both observe and then take advantage of what I've seen.