Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Default pushed off of winner - 6/12 hand

I'm on big blind with KT clubs, loose game. No folding to preflop raises in this game. Completely random holdings shown down after preflop raises. Also, big pocket pairs shown by late position without preflop raises.

UTG calls, CO raises, SB calls, I call. Mistake 1? CO has me pegged as a tight player, SB just sat down, UTG is a little wild but not stupid.

Flop is T76r, no clubs. SB checks, I bet, UTG calls, CO raises, SB calls two cold. I think a moment and call (mistake 2?). Turn is a 4, two hearts.

SB checks, I bet (mistake 3?), UTG calls, and CO raises again. I'm ok with all this until SB calls two cold. At this point I'm confused by the action - especially from the SB - and I fold. (mistake 4?) UTG calls.

I don't even remember the river card. I just remember that UTG bet, and CO and SB both fold. UTG shows A high with no complaints from CO or SB.

Any ideas how to interpret this hand or play it properly?

eastbay
Old 01-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: pushed off of winner - 6/12 hand

I think I'd call preflop against a loose raiser, especially multiway.

I think on the flop betting and getting raised and check raising are both good options, but you're not in very good position to protect your hand.

I'd like to hear why you bet out again on the turn.

It looks like you were getting something like 14:1 to call the turn raise, so I think you have to be pretty sure someone has KK, a set or a straight to fold. Getting something like 8:1 to call the turn and river bet, I think calling down from here is good.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Based on how you described the game... the call with KTs is fine.
I think betting out on the flop is fine, if the table is that passive, you don't want it to get checked through.
I think the only thing I would change would be to check the turn and call it down unless SB starts raising.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:12 PM

In games like this, i almost never fold top pair, good kicker. Checkraise the flop. Dont fold to the turn raise. Perhaps fold the river, but im still calling.

peace

john nickle
Old 01-20-2005, 02:12 PM

No idea what to think, except its one of those loose crazy games. CO maay have had a draw like j9.

Where was this game? Live? City, State? I want to sit down.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No idea what to think, except its one of those loose crazy games. CO maay have had a draw like j9.

Where was this game? Live? City, State? I want to sit down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bay 101. Yes, this is normal play for 6/12.

eastbay
Old 01-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Where is that San Jose?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think on the flop betting and getting raised and check raising are both good options, but you're not in very good position to protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I had the best hand. I put the raiser on desperation raises with a good starting hand like AQ. I thought SB was on a draw of some kind, and I didn't fear UTG's hand - he was calling down most hands.

Getting called down was fine, and get raised by CO was fine too. But when SB called two again for the 3rd time, I put him on a made hand, probably something like JJ, but also felt a set or straight was as likely. Mistake. He was still on that draw, whatever the heck it was.

In retrospect, the pot was too big not to call this down. As a player new to limit, I have to do a better job keeping track of pot sizes.

eastbay
Old 01-20-2005, 02:51 PM

Yeah.

eastbay
Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I had the best hand. I put the raiser on desperation raises with a good starting hand like AQ. I thought SB was on a draw of some kind, and I didn't fear UTG's hand - he was calling down most hands.

Getting called down was fine, and get raised by CO was fine too. But when SB called two again for the 3rd time, I put him on a made hand, probably something like JJ, but also felt a set or straight was as likely. Mistake. He was still on that draw, whatever the heck it was.

In retrospect, the pot was too big not to call this down. As a player new to limit, I have to do a better job keeping track of pot sizes.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a hint:

Don't put them on a made hand until they actually bet or raise.