Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 AM

Default You have 2x the BB UTG, auto all-in?

Subject says it all. Let's say you've been blinded down in a MTT, getting absolutely no cards and you've left yourself in a position where you don't have enough to steal blinds anymore (you have about 2x the BB now). the blind will be on you the next hand, and let's say the blinds are now at 200-400 and you have exactly 800 in chips left. When UTG, is it correct to move in with any two cards? This gives you a shot to win the BB and SB (T600), or double or triple up if you get called and get lucky. Or should you only move in with a hand that's equal to or better than the average Q7? Or should you only be moving in in this position if you have equal to or less than the BB? If you fold a slightly above average hand UTG, and then the blind takes 50% of your stack you must call all-in if someone raises your blind because you're pot committed by posting the blind, right?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: You have 2x the BB UTG, auto all-in?

if the table is real tight, sure go ahead. if its real loose, i'd make sure its a drawing hand. If its an ABC poker table i'd say figure out if its a better than average hand.

figure out whether you want to go all in with the UTG hand or your BB hand and if your BB happens to be 27o, I'd still go with it.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 AM

When your fold equity is down to zero because you only have 2 BBs left, you generally need a stronger hand to push with since the Big Blind will automatically get 3.5 to 1 on his money to call. You really should have pushed at some point earlier, as doing it from UTG is far from ideal. That said, when I need a desperation push, I like to go for any ace, any K, any two cards over ten, or any pair.

If you get something miserable like 9-2o UTG, I'd gamble and hope I get something a litte more respectable in the Blind and autopush once there.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 AM

Personally, its all about pot odds rather than cards when your down to 2xBB. I know that the weaker your hand the better it becomes the less people in the pot BUT you want value for the draw more than anything else. So I wouldnt move UTG unless I have a strong hand. I'd wait for the BB hope a few ppl limp or raise in front and then lump all my chips in with any 2.
As one poster has already said, I would have moved earlier when I had 3 or 4 BB left... making it a bit harder for a large stack/s to call you down.

Dawdy