Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 03:16 PM

Default KK makes 2nd nut flush...

I thought I played this well.

Villain's 5th hand, he was 100/75 w/2 showdowns (JJ/J9o) and seemed to play decently post-flop compared to his pf aggression.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (14.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: (18.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB

-d
Old 01-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: KK makes 2nd nut flush...

I cap the flop, I think, and play the rest the same.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 PM

I was planning to raise any turn card.

-d
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 PM

hi-
nice hand.
i think i still cap the flop, because when that 4th spade falls, you're going to lose a lot of action...so I want to get the money in the pot when everyone is calling anyway. i think whether UTG leads the turn (as you want) is independant of your flop call or cap.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:31 PM

Cap the flop. You have an overpair and a draw to the 2nd nuts.

3-bet the turn. If he caps call down. If not plan on betting the river.

River call is fine since the board paired and you now have less than the 2nd nuts and might be in trouble.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Ok this might be my most insane post yet...

Check the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I'm almost certain that it is the right play in a higher limit game (and pretty sure that it is the right play here).

I'll post thoughts later (or soon after you flame me). [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM

I wanted to keep a lone spade (the A/J) drawing, as they're not going to leave, I wanted to make sure they think i'm weak and pop them again with a big bet. I'm on the fence with capping and waiting, as I think there can be arguments for maximizing the value of the entire hand either way.

4/5 times there won't be a spade on the turn, so a pair will lead out again, and the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] might, just for kicks, this is where I want to get them for extra bets, because I actually feel a lot safer about my hand without the 4th spade.

Ancilliary question - how often does the non-A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] c/r this turn? When I get c/r'd, I didn't particularly want to see the turn capped.

In this case, it didn't matter, because I think the villain would have folded his A6o (no spade) to any further aggression.

-d
Old 01-18-2005, 04:23 PM

I can see that. I only get raised by a hand that beats me (A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) or is drawing to beat me (set), and I only get called by a hand that beats me (set) or is going for a cheap showdown (Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). I also disguise my hand as one where I have no spades and want a cheap showdown, allowing a lesser [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], set, or bluff to bet for me on the river.

But, I raise the river and call a 3-bet, right?

-d
Old 01-18-2005, 04:23 PM

HU maybe, because then you're only giving a free card to JJ. but no way I'm checking this 4 handed.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:25 PM

i'd say a check raise means no ace of spades more often than ace of spaes. a non-thinking player with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] says "i gots nut flush!" and bets. a thinking player with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] realizes the best play is lead and hope you raise the field, whereas a check-raise would force people out.

edited for clarity