Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Default POKERSTARS TRANSFER SCAMS...............

I don't know if I posted anything about this, but a few months ago someone attempted to scam me through a PokerStars transfer. I thought I would post about this since I just saw a post in this section about someone wanting a transfer.

How the scam worked:

Someone I think might have actually posted on here or PMed me, can't remember. I have done a bunch of transfers to help people out in the past, so it was no problem. They transferred me the money, and I transferred pokerstars chips to them. The next day, someone e-mailed me asking where their pokerstars transfer was. I didn't know what they were talking about.

Turns out, the scammer found someone on a messageboard who wanted a transfer. He then IM's or e-mails someone who has Pokerstars funds, and has them transfer to his account. However, the money being paypaled to you is not from that person. It is from the person that they are attempting to scam. So he IM's you and tells you to trasnfer to his name, while some person is paying for him, not knowing it.

He also has another IM name going and is IMing the other person telling them to send to me. The whole time, that person believes they are talking to me.

When I realized the person scammed them with this, I contacted Pokerstars, and they would not help at all. I had the other person e-mail Pokerstars telling them the situation, and e-mailed them myself as well. I asked them to reverse the transaction, but they would not.

My advice is, DO NOT do pokerstars transfers unless you are 100% positive it's the same person.

The situation happened again a few weeks later. I received a random IM, saying they heard I made transfers. So I got a little suspicious. I noticed that the paypal note said to transfer to a different pokerstars name than the IM said. I didn't transfer anything. I contacted the person's e-mail who had payed me thru paypal. I then told them to IM me. They had no idea who I was, and they were very close to being ripped off. They had been talking to someone else on IM believing that person was going to transfer them pokerstars chips. I told them what was going on, and then made sure the transfer got thru to the person who was about to be ripped off.

My advice is if you are going to make transfers, make sure the person includes the pokerstars name in their paypal payment note. This way, no one will get scammed.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: POKERSTARS TRANSFER SCAMS...............

Thanks for the headsup

I think exposing user names would be ok here so we can tell who the scumbags are
Old 01-14-2005, 07:01 PM

I think exposing user names would be ok here so we can tell who the scumbags are

When this originally happened, I went right to my mailbox for 2+2 and looked to see who it was on here. I must not have saved a copy like I usually do, because they weren't in there.

I did however save to my e-mail some IM conversations of the scammer. If I remember correctly, their IM name was something like "stevecoleman87". However, they used many different IM names in this scam. I'm pretty sure that was one of their main ones though.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:00 AM

Old 01-15-2005, 12:43 AM

Default How not to get scammed in a transfer.

The best way to not get scammed in a transfer is DON'T TRANSFER YOUR MONEY TO SOMEONE ELSE.

Every site has about 5 different ways for people to put money into accounts. There is no reason for some one to "need" you to transfer money to them.

Next week I will explain how to not get eaten by Lions at the Zoo, applying the simple principle of staying out of the Lion Cage.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: How not to get scammed in a transfer.

cool now I may be able to go backto the zoo
Old 01-15-2005, 01:54 AM

can you help me get out of the kiddie pool?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Every site has about 5 different ways for people to put money into accounts. There is no reason for some one to "need" you to transfer money to them.

Next week I will explain how to not get eaten by Lions at the Zoo, applying the simple principle of staying out of the Lion Cage.

[/ QUOTE ]

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you
Old 01-23-2005, 05:19 PM

I've only looked at rgp once or twice before, and for some reason decided to today. It looks like the same guy was trying to scam people over there:

http://www.liveactionpoker.com/recga...oker%2Ecom>