Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Fish or Mix

I am fairly new to poker and I have a question on theory about micro-limit games? I find it hard to beat the micro-limits with a table full of fish. Always at least one sucking out on a draw. It seems like this would be ideal, but I always do better with some tight-passives at the table. Is there any ideal situation? I would think the stakes have something to do with this.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Fish or Mix

You need to adjust your game to play in multi-way pots. Play in position, and bet your good drawing hands, hoping to get free cards.

When you're playing at tables where 5-7 people regularly see the flop, hands like suited connectors and AXs become more valuable PF, especially in late position. This is because you're often going to need to show the nuts or something very close to the nuts to win a hand at a loose table. The key is proper starting hand selection. And once you get that down, pump the pots aggressively when you already have the best hand, or put in a bet on the best draw hoping to get a free card on the turn. Remember, "tight aggressive" is the goal here.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 PM

games like you explain are nice as long as your hands hold up, you just have to play more suited connectors in position and keep in mind that really loose games will create bigger bankroll swings. the nights your hitting and holding up you'll win huge, but there will be some nights where everyone sucks out. Just play your game and you will be a long term winner in these games
Old 01-16-2005, 11:23 PM

Thanks. I expected this for an answer. I have hit the ups and downs. Just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction. I also started to multi-table and though it was a little difficult at first... I am getting the hang of it.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:37 PM

I find it hard to beat the micro-limits with a table full of fish.

Ohhh boy [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Welcome aboard. Hopefully other will expand on my comment, if not hopefully you will.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:40 AM

While everyone will correctly tell you these games are beatable, if infuriating at times, personally I find it actually IS more profitable to have one or two good tight (that's the key) players at the table, especially if you can sit on the immediate right of one of them.
You'll lose some of the fish money to them, but their actions are more predictable and you can use this to your advantage, both in betting strategy and hand reading.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:22 PM

The more blithering idiots you can put at a table, the higher you earn rate will be...given time. Which is the key here.
You sacrifice some earn rate by adding some tighter players with you, but if they're the weak-tight kind that likes to roam the micro/low limit games, they will help decrease variance by quite a bit. However since time isn't infinite in my life, I'll gladly take this tradeoff. Easier on me time wise and psychologically.
If you have infinite time and infinite patience however, you want the dumbest loosest fish you can find. Most of us don't have either so just find a table that you're comfortable with. That's the benefit of the internet...so many different tables with so many different textures that you can basically get exactly what you want in a table provided you know what that is and are willing to go find it.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:27 PM

I like playing against a table full of TAGS because my raises get respect there [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img].
Old 01-18-2005, 01:40 AM

Not really sure which way to take the oh boy comment. I guess the variance is very frustrating to me. It just happened that I notice with one or two TPP or maybe a TAP that I do good. Some nights I am very patient with the fish, some nights I just want to strangle them.

Of course I love watching them get up big and then blow it all.... then wonder why this happens.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:52 AM

Just wait for the long run to kick in. And play tighter than they do, don't emulate them.