Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Am I drawing, betting the best hand, or just LAGging it up?

Button is a new player to the table, no read on him.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Anyone play this differently on any street? I was totally lost, but since I wasn't meeting resistance, I kept betting.

Cold-calling and continued calling really messes with my head.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Am I drawing, betting the best hand, or just LAGging it up?

looks good to me man.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:01 AM

I think this is totally correct. Assuming button won, he/she's hella passive. There are essentially no hands that could have called your preflop raise (KQs?) that don't merit at least one raise or fold on later streets.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:03 AM

I just want to add that hands like these frustrate me like crazy too. I think I literally have played 20+ hands like this in the past few days, all of them with similar results.

This whole attack-attack-attack mentality is sort of bothering me because I am not hitting my outs and I feel like a dunderhead because I am betting chips and not winning.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:17 AM

I totally feel the same, but the river here is the only street you have to feel a little queasy on, no? On the flop you have a good pair, and a decent draw, and you're sitting pretty on the turn.

What I hate is betting middle pairs or top pair no kicker out of position, and getting called down. I can't stop because I know aggression wins.

Maybe this will cheer you up. If you check the river, doesn't that make you feel worse? That just screams "I missed my draw, please punish me."

This way, my river aggression is higher, so I can feel all manly and stuff as YouFearMe22 takes my pot. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 03:18 AM

In a three handed pot, odds are only one of you are going to hit the flop. You not only hit the flop but landed a BDFD. That is worth betting. The turn you hit a nut flush draw which gave you 9 more clean outs if you were behind. Add this to the outs you already had and you are looking good.

No problem. Just curious, you are at 1,000 posts yet your not providing reads. Why not?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 AM

Yeah, passivity like this from an unknown player behind you can be really frustrating. It almost feels like a bad beat when the other guy turns over AKs for top two pair, and you wonder "WTF? No raise? Ever?"
Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 AM

haha, true man, true. tough spot.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, passivity like this from an unknown player behind you can be really frustrating. It almost feels like a bad beat when the other guy turns over AKs for top two pair, and you wonder "WTF? No raise? Ever?"

[/ QUOTE ]yeah this has happened to me several times, damnit.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No problem. Just curious, you are at 1,000 posts yet your not providing reads. Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the last two hands I've thought were worth posting (this, and my "Check this on the flop to see what develops?" thread), I had no read to provide. In this case, the guy had been at my table maybe 5 hands, and I'd only been there for 10 or 15.

Since the big shakeup that produced bison's stickied suggestions, which are all great ones, I've tried providing reads as much as possible. There are just some cases when you haven't played enough hands with a player to have any sort of read at all.