Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:23 AM

Default 77 in the BB vs a LAG on the button

Button in this hand has been pretty LAGy - 36/12/2. I took a somewhat different line than I usually do, so I'm looking for what people think of my options. I'll post results and what I actually did a little later.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(LAG)</font> raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

What would people do here? I'm not necessarily giving the LAG credit for a J, although I expect he has at least 1 overcard. Do I bet out? Check/fold? Check/call? Checkraise?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: 77 in the BB vs a LAG on the button

Id likely c/r the flop, in hopes of getting HU with the lag. Betting out doesnt seem to bad either, but youre hand isnt strong enough to warrant wanting to drag UTG along.
-light
Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 AM

I'd 3-bet preflop to try and get heads-up with the LAG.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Oh i agree about the pf raise too, but i think the fact that you called changes how you should act on the flop. Had you raised, you should lead the flop.
-light
Old 01-18-2005, 01:53 AM

Hmm. . .in retrospect maybe 3-betting preflop would have been better. In any case, I called preflop with the intention of check-raising a safe flop. UTG was kind of passive, so I wasn't afraid of him betting out on the flop - if he did I was gone.

So the LAG bet, I checkraised, and he called.

Flop: (6.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB

His river aggression is a 6, so I called the river - I felt bad about it though. Any other problems with how I played this hand? Also, what if I had 3-bet pf and led the flop - assuming he raises me on the flop what do I do? Call down? What if he calls and raises me on the turn?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:57 AM

Given the way you played this hand, you have to fold to his turn raise. This is AJ or AA/KK/QQ/JJ.

If you 3-bet and lead the flop, and the LAG raises, I think it's a call and fold the turn if you don't spike your set kind of situation. You're not getting correct odds to call the flop, but you may find that the LAG checks behind on the turn (not super likely) and/or it sets you up for those times where you smoothcall the flop and checkraise the turn.

EDIT: <font color="black"> [censored] </font> , didn't see that the turn gave you an OESD. Yes, this is a call on the turn and a fold unimproved on the river.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:14 AM

Good advice - although I'm not folding the turn since I picked up a straight draw to go along with my pair of 7s. Should I fold the river unimproved though?