Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 04:04 AM

Default How do you interpret this home game all-in comment?

OK, i had nothing better to do, so today i played in a home tournament, $20 buyin, 12 people total, 6 per table. I didn't know anyone there, but the competition was pretty weak.

I think we started out with t1000 and I g0t down to t700 after being pretty card dead. At this point we were still 6 handed and with the blinds 10-20, I got dealt TsTh UTG and raised it to 60. It was folded around to the button who reraised it to 120 and I called.

Flop (t270):
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
The action is to me and I lead out with t120. I figured there was a decent chance he also had a pocket pair and I could represent the ace and take the pot. I also figured that even if he did have an ace, my flush draw still could be good. Well, he reraised me to t170 (I commented that a raise had to be as least twice the original bet but didn't really care because I didn't want to call anymore) and I threw in the extra 50.

Turn (t610):
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
My spade didn't hit and I thought that there was a good chance he had an ace, so I decided to check and he checked behind me. I guess a good argument could be made for taking a stab at the pot, but at this point I thought that there was too good a chance he had an ace, probably AK. The reraise preflop suggested AK or any PP. However, his below min-reraise on the flop was really suspicious. I couldn't tell if he was just really stupid and thought that any reraise would scare me off, or if he actually had an A.

River (t610):
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I checked and he put me all-in (he had me covered by a lot). My main question is, how would you interpret what he said before putting me all-in:
"Well, I don't think you have the flush, and you definetely don't have a 5, so I'm gonna put you all-in." I should also note that he had kind of a dumb grin on his face when he said it.

It was not a really unusual comment, but I think there should be some information in it, but I'm not sure what. If you interpret his language he is basically saying, "I have an ace and I think that it's good because you don't have the flush or straight." So I am kind of suspicious of the comment because it basically says what he has in his hand. That leads me to believe he might have actually had a PP and was doing the typical strong when weak routine. Since my pair was only TT, I folded, but if I had KK I may have called on the chance that he had QQ or less.

What do you guys think about his comment and also about how I played the hand?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: How do you interpret this home game all-in comment?

he's got 55, so you definetly don't have one too.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:27 AM

It's possible, but I really don't think he had 55. I interpreted the you definitely don't have the straight comment to mean that I probably would not have raised and called with any hand containing a 5.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:15 AM

I think he might've flopped the flush. I think his comment on the river was made in hopes that you did have a 5 and were going to call to prove him wrong, and then lose all of your money.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM

He either flopped the flush or has a full house--something like Aces full of deuces. His comments were constructed as to entice you to call--he was hoping you either had three of a kind Aces or the 5 and therefore probably had to call.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:11 PM

I think he has either the nut flush or a full house and is trying to induce a call.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:46 PM

Yeah, i think he might have had a full house, like with pocket 33 or 44, even though it's kind of unusual that he would reraise preflop with that. His comment is similar to Mike McD's "I don't think you've got the spades" comment when he had the full house against KGB.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:48 PM

I wasn't at the table so I'm not sure the conditions, but I think you should have considered pushing on the flop.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:48 PM

This one is simple.

If you had a(commented on) 5-card or a (commented on) spade, he still had you beat.

He has a boat or the nut flush, it's usually that simple.

This is a cheap (Hellmuth-like) verbal play to get you to call.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Easy fold against most players. Usually when an opponent in a home game says, "Well, you don't have x or y...", it usually means they can beat x or y.