Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Stangest overpair I\'ve ever played.

30/60 online, Real juicy game, playing loose-passive for the most part.

Two any-ace, any-suited, I really dont' know what they fold when they do - types, limp in EP and I raise w/9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP. Two predictable, medicore types cold call in LP, both blinds call (No reads on the SB. BB, a tricky one, was sure to call in a family pot).

7 to the flop for 7BBs.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Check to me and I check as I'm hoping it's checked through and a nice one comes off.

Crazy? Too many Tommy posts? Comments?

Thanks for you replies,
Joe Tall
Old 01-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Stangest overpair I\'ve ever played.

Inexcusable IMO.
-James
Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 PM

I just don't get it, that may be because its way above my head or because its awful. I think its really bad but I'd like to hear the reasoning. I think you're giving up way too much value by not betting here.

What are you doing if a bad one comes off?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:09 PM

you missed a bet, regardless of the morons at the table, you have the best hand...the two blinds (of which you can't get reads on) have checked to you, which tells me they have none of the flop...the crazy people from early position probably bet if they have any of that....and if the two callers in late position are as predictable as you say, they aren't going to be playing little cards like that, unless it's a baby pair of which they'd raise your bet on the flop...then you'd know where you were at...poorly played
Old 01-06-2005, 08:19 PM

What are you doing if a bad one comes off?

That depends on what that action is, does it not? The thing is, I really didn't think I'd take so many to the flop. I thought that since I didn't play a hand for the last hour, the rest would give way and let me isolate the first two. But that didn't happen and I took an extra 4.

No one is going anywhere on this flop but I can get them to go if I can get them to turn on a blank bet/raise w/the smaller pot. With the trickier player in the BB, he'll bet any turn most of the time, I can leverage there. If checked to an LP w/A8, I can c/r later when safe. This is what was running through at the time of the check.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 PM

Or you could bet and let someone find a raise and clear the field for you right here and now. There are too many opponents to even know which cards are "good ones" and which cards are bad.
-James
Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 PM

Or you could bet and let someone find a raise and clear the field for you right here and now

Even for a 30 game, it was playing too passive. I know the last two won't raise but will call w/overs. They may bet an A8 if checked to.

There are too many opponents to even know which cards are "good ones" and which cards are bad.

That's somewhat my point. I'm taking most to the turn and I stand no where once the pot gets that big. Well, this is why I posted it. Fry me at will. Thanks for your response, James. Your 'inexcusable' left a bad taste in my mouth. Could be good for me.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:38 PM

I'd just bet. Are you ahead? probably. Will you win if you bet? No. Will you get one or two to fold? Yeah, and that may help by the end of the hand.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or you could bet and let someone find a raise and clear the field for you right here and now

Even for a 30 game, it was playing too passive. I know the last two won't raise but will call w/overs. They may bet an A8 if checked to.

There are too many opponents to even know which cards are "good ones" and which cards are bad.

That's somewhat my point. I'm taking most to the turn and I stand no where once the pot gets that big. Well, this is why I posted it. Fry me at will. Thanks for your response, James. Your 'inexcusable' left a bad taste in my mouth. Could be good for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I didn't seem like a dick. I guess I just couldn't figure out any reasons not to bet. I mean, even if your equity isn't enormous at this point, you have to figure to have the best hand, and you will increase your equity far more by betting and clearing even 1 or two out(or making everyone pay 1 more while you are ahead) than checking and hoping for what may or may not be a "good card" on the turn.
-James
Old 01-06-2005, 08:50 PM

I hope I didn't seem like a dick

Um, have you ever read any of the comments I've made on this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Far from it, James. I could use the shake up.

I mean, even if your equity isn't enormous at this point

That's exactly what was going through my head. I just wanted a free turn, play-on, situation. Like if 4cards flopped.

and you will increase your equity far more by betting and clearing even 1 or two out(or making everyone pay 1 more while you are ahead)

I did post it to hear this. I hope others chime in.

See you down AC sooner or later,
JT