Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Tricky LAG makes tricky raise, it\'s tricky to rock a rhyme on time

Just had a frustrating night at the Bike playing 2/4. Early in the night my decent cards were -- amazingly -- holding up and I was +45BB. Then I started getting AA, JJ, AKs, flushes and straights cracked by weird boats and flushes. Ended up -21BB for the night [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, as sucky as it was, I couldn't think of any hands to post except the following one, since I think I played pretty solidly. This one was against a very tricky opponent. He was a LAG preflop -- raising about 50% of his hands, many of which were stuff like 65o, 22, A3o, JTo, etc. -- but very solid postflop. As crappy as some of his raises were, he usually showed down a winner. Anyway, I was BB against him and there was one cold-caller between us. I decided to defend, because the cold-calling Button was a total fish idiot, and the hand went like this:

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="red"> Villain raises </font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop (6.5 sb): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Villain bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, Villain calls, Button folds

Turn: (5 BB): A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets, Villain raises</font>, Hero folds

Yeah?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Tricky LAG makes tricky raise, it\'s tricky to rock a rhyme on time

Looks fine to me. You put him on an ace and you folded believing you had the worst hand. No problems there.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 AM

Well, I don't know. He may have just now caught his ace on the turn, which would give you five outs. But even that would make the call close. I think the turn fold is fine.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:00 AM

You did say he was solid post-flop. You check-raised on the flop, he called. So what does he have here? Would he play on here without at least a pair of queens or a good draw? Pretty raggy flop actually.

On the turn with the ace, he's either bluffing, or has your hand beat. If he had AQ, he probably would have re-raised you on the flop (he's aggressive right?) A6, and if he's solid though, he probably would have folded into your check-raise. I guess it depends on what you mean by "solid." This looks like it may have been a bluff, and it might have been worth 2 more bets to find out. Or 1 more bet if you had checked and called on the turn with the overcard.

KC
http://kingcopbrapoker.com
Old 01-07-2005, 08:39 AM

Yeah.

If it makes you feel any better, same thing happened to me last night. Was up about 25BB then sat back helpless as seas of 84o cold calls and miracle rivers whiddled me away to -20BB.

To top it off, people were actually trash talking me for doing 'stupid' things like check raising the flop and then checking the turn and folding the river (free card play).

When I left the table, guy who won about 10 BB off of me in one hand by hitting his gut shot on the river when I flopped a set of Kings (capped pre-flop vs. his ATo, capped the flop with backdoor straight draw, capped turn w/ gut shot straight draw and I just called his river bet.) taunts me about my play and says something about having all my chips.

Meh... all in a nights work.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just had a frustrating night at the Bike playing 2/4. Early in the night my decent cards were -- amazingly -- holding up and I was +45BB. Then I started getting AA, JJ, AKs, flushes and straights cracked by weird boats and flushes. Ended up -21BB for the night [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, as sucky as it was, I couldn't think of any hands to post except the following one, since I think I played pretty solidly. This one was against a very tricky opponent. He was a LAG preflop -- raising about 50% of his hands, many of which were stuff like 65o, 22, A3o, JTo, etc. -- but very solid postflop. As crappy as some of his raises were, he usually showed down a winner. Anyway, I was BB against him and there was one cold-caller between us. I decided to defend, because the cold-calling Button was a total fish idiot, and the hand went like this:

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="red"> Villain raises </font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop (6.5 sb): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Villain bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, Villain calls, Button folds

Turn: (5 BB): A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets, Villain raises</font>, Hero folds

Yeah?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really like it. You say he's a tricky lag. You represented a Queen on the flop. So, what does a tricky lag do when an Ace hits on the turn? Yes, he represents an Ace. Maybe he had it, maybe he didn't, but I'm inclined to call down based on the read given.

Also, I might be inclined to check this turn to induce a bluff. You have 2nd pair, out of position, against a LAG. I want to show this down, but as cheaply as possible. With OK hands out of position against lags, it's often correct to just get passive.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:50 AM

This is my least favorite kind of hand. I hate this decision. Depending on how tricky he is postflop, I don't think anyone is going to fault you for calling down. On the other hand, with your 5 (probably good) outs, plus the added chance that he's bluffing, I call down here more often than not against a LAG -- which may be a leak.

Sometimes I fold too. Problem is, if I fold, I feel bad. If I call down and it's not a bluff, I feel bad. Only way I feel good about this decision is calling down and exposing a bluff.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 AM

I like your line here. Smallish pot; I think it's a good fold as you seem to have a good read on him.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:25 PM

In this small pot, I like it. Ni han.

btw, that's some nice variance, last night was similiar for me. We're good.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to defend, because the cold-calling Button was a total fish idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me there isn't a situation where you would fold here. It should be "I was thrilled that I got to call here getting 5.5:1 with a hand that's going to do great against these guys when it catches the flop at all. Man I'm glad I had a hand this strong instead of 85o--that would have sucked."

scrub