Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 11:21 AM

Default raising w 2nd best hand

I've been consciously trying to be more aware of opportunities to thin the field with a large pot and 2nd best hand. In a very loose game I'm utg with JJ. I raised, mid position reraises and the button caps. both blinds fold. Flop comes A 10 3 rainbow. all check to the button who bets. Is this a situation where I should be attempting to thin the field with a check raise? I've got to believe that the button has either A-big or KK or QQ. I'd have only 2 outs with my JJ.... thoughts?

What if I had AJ and the flop was K J 3 with the same betting (not that I'd automatically play AJ utg but just for sake of argument)

Thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: raising w 2nd best hand

This is absolutely an opportunity to raise...

Say you're up against QQ and KK ... the raise will get them on guard and firing at the turn will oftentimes get a fold.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-05-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is absolutely an opportunity to raise...

Say you're up against QQ and KK ... the raise will get them on guard and firing at the turn will oftentimes get a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, lets see - say capper has AA-QQ or AK, so 48% of the time he holds KK or QQ with this flop. How often is a check-raise / bet out the turn going to fold him? Maybe half the time if you are lucky. I think the CR is worthwhile only if you are willing to fold to a reraise on the flop or a raise on the turn. If he calls and calls the turn, what's your river plan? You probably can't win at that point, but pretty difficult to check-fold getting 11:1.

Also, if you expand capper's range of hands to include AQ, TT, and maybe AJ, you're in deeper trouble still.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been consciously trying to be more aware of opportunities to thin the field with a large pot and 2nd best hand. In a very loose game I'm utg with JJ. I raised, mid position reraises and the button caps. both blinds fold. Flop comes A 10 3 rainbow. all check to the button who bets. Is this a situation where I should be attempting to thin the field with a check raise? I've got to believe that the button has either A-big or KK or QQ. I'd have only 2 outs with my JJ.... thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. But if both call, you may then need to check-fold.