Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Default JTo and folding to a river raise

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 01-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: JTo and folding to a river raise

I would fold it preflop without a second though. I don't think JTo is profitable from MP, you are out of position with a rather crappy hand.

I think the flop and turn are fine, but after the button called the turn I really don't like my hand very much.

I would probably check/call the river. I think you are likely behind.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:31 PM

I don't call with JTo when UTG+1 after a limper either.

I think that betting here is okay if you can fold to a raise, and folding to a raise is probably correct. Big pot though . . . and it's always helpful to know what the heck Button had [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Looks a helluva lot like AK, though, doesn't it? Or a set.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that betting here is okay if you can fold to a raise, and folding to a raise is probably correct. Big pot though . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you feel comfortable folding a 15BB pot to a raise on the river?
If someone knew you would do that at your table... then it would be a HUGE leak. Better have a pretty strong read on the player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM

I agree. I couldn't personally fold here, so I'd check/call. But if you have enough of a read to be able to fold, then value-betting is the way to go.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that betting here is okay if you can fold to a raise, and folding to a raise is probably correct. Big pot though . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you feel comfortable folding a 15BB pot to a raise on the river?
If someone knew you would do that at your table... then it would be a HUGE leak. Better have a pretty strong read on the player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I never do it (fold the river for one bet in a huge pot), so I wasnt worried that he somehow had a read on me, or that id get shots taken at me in the future (in this case I wouldnt mind). After the K hit on the turn, and there was no raise, I figured the river was an easy bet, as a check on my part could easily get it checked through, which I felt I didnt want. When he raised, I didnt think it could honestly be anything I could beat, and figured it was an AK he didnt have the balls to raise on the turn.

When and where do you guys play JTo? Its one of the hands I added after a limper when I was trying to get my VPIP up (which is currently at 22%). What situations do you play this hand?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:06 PM

i don't know...this pot size might warrant a check/call.