Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Fun with AJs

Hero has AJs UTG. I raise.

UTG+1 re-raises me.

SB caps.

Hero...?

Here's my logic (which seems flawed):

SSHE says if you get a raise and re-raise behind you, when it gets back to you, you use the same criteria as if you were cold-calling from EP. AJs is in that list so I called. However, I know it takes strong holdings to be able to re-raise a re-raise, so I'm not sure about the strength of my hand at this point. I figure for just two extra bets with the chance to win ten (UTG+1 will surely call), I have to call, but I'm pretty sure I have a slim chance of winning (maybe catching a straight or flush or get lucky and have my ace be live against QQ and KK or something). So, I know I'm behind at this point, but even with a 20% chance of winning (maybe lower with implied odds?) I should call. This seems like iffy logic to me, though, so I'm looking for any input as to what to do in this situation. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Fun with AJs

This is probably too loose of me, but I'd call with AJs and fold AJo.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:59 PM

This is an auto-muck for me UTG.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:04 PM

I don't see this being a call facing typical raisers. The hands that could three-bet you might be AA-TT, AK, AQ. The hands that could three-bet the re-raiser would be something like AA,KK,QQ,AKs.

Against a range of hands like this, you can never be sure where you stand. An ace still has you behind AK,AQ and a jack only puts you ahead of someone with TT. Similarily, if an ace comes and they were both on big pairs any card ten or higher that comes will put a possible set out there.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see this being a call facing typical raisers. The hands that could three-bet you might be AA-TT, AK, AQ. The hands that could three-bet the re-raiser would be something like AA,KK,QQ,AKs.

Against a range of hands like this, you can never be sure where you stand. An ace still has you behind AK,AQ and a jack only puts you ahead of someone with TT. Similarily, if an ace comes and they were both on big pairs any card ten or higher that comes will put a possible set out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, AJs makes the nut straight and flush, and thus the implied odds are tremendous, making this 2SB call worthwhile if you pick up a nice draw on the flop. The other players look committed to the hand and you stand to earn a huge chunk if you hit. Getting at least 10:2 on this PF call, I think AJs is worth a look at the flop.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Calling here is recommended in loose games by SSHE. In tight games they suggests mucking AQs. This suggests that (they think) there is not a lot in it, either way.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Do you mean after the raises, or preflop in general? If you mean in general...ugh.

Rob
Old 01-03-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Do you mean after the raises, or preflop in general? If you mean in general...ugh.
Pre-flop in first three seats after the BB. Always. Yeah, I know. Ugh.
Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-04-2005, 12:27 AM

Why the held would you fold AJs in EP?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:11 PM

First of all, I should start by saying that I'm speaking of full ring game conditions. If the game is short-handed, 6 max for example, AJ is definitely a raising hand from EP. In a full ring game this hand is too weak to raise with from the first three after the BB. I should also point out that I do not open-limp in these games. Ever. Again, short-handed I will sometimes depending on the type of players I'm up against. Against typical internet players I'll open-limp will all kinds of marginal hands. Just not in a full ring.
That said, AJs is something I will limp along with behind an EP limper when I'm in MP. Same as I would with Axs, because the real strength of the hand is its nut flush potential. If I'm in late position and a MP player open-raises, I will sometimes three-bet it and sometimes fold. Depends again on the raiser.