Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Playing Ax from LP

Hypothetical situation that most of us probably find ourselves in on a regular basis:

You're on a relatively typical Party 2/4 full table. By "relatively typical" I mean, the table as a whole plays fairly tight, but there are 2-4 loose players who make it worthwhile to stay. You're in the CO with A7o.

Folded to a loose player in UTG+2, who limps. A slightly loose player in MP2 limps behind. Folded to you. You....?

Does your thinking change if it's two limpers (or one) to you on the button? SB? Or what if it's A8 or A9o?

It would seem that a hand like that would play well in a short-handed pot, assuming you're a decent postflop player, but SSH recommends not playing them at all (until you have "mastered" preflop play, anyway). Any thoughts here?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Playing Ax from LP

I would just fold A7o and A8o. You could still be facing as much as a six player pot, which is too many for an unconnected offsuit ace. I would call with A9o only if I knew that the limpers were capable of playing weak aces or worse hands. If first to act with A7o from the cutoff I'll usually raise, but this is where I draw the line. I would fold A6o. A9o, A8o, and A7o play well in two and three-handed pots. Four is too many, the chance that you will win with ace-high is too slim.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:28 PM

I would throw this away in this situation, even if it's A8o or A9o. The only time I'd consider playing these hands in this position is if you're the first one in the pot from the CO and then I'd go for a raise.

Here's what's wrong with A7o against several opponents. If you're heads up with it it's a good hand actually, but against several opponents, you're going to have to hit the ace for the hand to be any good. Pair of 7's aren't going to be good enough. If you don't hit your ace on the flop, you're probably going to be behind. And even if you do, your kicker isn't very good. So overall, it's not a profitable play in most situations, unless you've got a single opponent or are playing against random hands from the blinds.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 AM

Well, let me 'fess up, then....this is a line that I've been experimenting with lately, and have had some success using, particularly on loose tables where people will play a huge selection of hands. Raise to (hopefully) isolate the loose limpers and buy the button, and then use that position...bet the flop if checked to, and take the free card after if you still don't have your A.

The thing is, the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to agree with the traditional line of thinking which says to fold these hands (except maybe first in). If you hit your ace, you probably won't get any action except from hands that beat you, and if you miss the ace, like you said you probably aren't going to win the pot with A high.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:39 AM

Don't do it. That is all.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 AM

Personally, I will only play A9o from late position coming in first with a raise. ATo, I tend to only limp from late if limpers are in- or come in first with a raise. But that's just me.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, let me 'fess up, then....this is a line that I've been experimenting with lately, and have had some success using, particularly on loose tables where people will play a huge selection of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

People playing hands like A7 online are what we like to call 'fish.' Fortunately for you, you have netted a small profit playing these hands because of normal variance. Now quickly stop playing these hands forever (or at least until you move to a game with many levels of thinking) and you will be much better off.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM

This hand is unprofitable in the situation you describe.