Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Conflicts in SSH + POP

In SSH it says I can play this simply on position but it does not take into consideration pot odds. In POP it says I need 1/5 odds to call. Should I play or not play?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Conflicts in SSH + POP

If MP3 limps a lot from there and a raise can get you heads up, that is a decent option.

Or you can limp and try to hit a set (or win a small pot unimproved) if you feel like gambling.

Or you can fold and wait for a better spot.

My point being, there probably isn't a clear cut answer.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In SSH it says I can play this simply on position but it does not take into consideration pot odds. In POP it says I need 1/5 odds to call. Should I play or not play?

[/ QUOTE ]
What is POP?

Unless an all-in situation is involved, pot odds should never appear in a discussion of preflop play. Most of the cost and benefit of playing a hand is postflop. Pot odds have very little to do with the real odds (the implied odds) you are getting on a preflop call.

In a typical 2/4 situation I would limp behind MP3 with any pocket pair. It's not a big deal whatever you do.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:05 PM

i try to iso if im going to play. if not the other two alternatives are folding (i dont like) and let the blinds play to get paid-off if you hit a set.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is POP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've previously seen POP as a reference to The Psychology of Poker, but I haven't read it so I can't confirm.

FWIW, I would fold this first in from MP, but would play with one or more limpers ahead.

Edit: Doh -- this was in LP. I would raise first in from LP but fold first in from LP. As in MP, with 1+ limper(s), I'm ready to limp along.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is POP?

Unless an all-in situation is involved, pot odds should never appear in a discussion of preflop play. Most of the cost and benefit of playing a hand is postflop. Pot odds have very little to do with the real odds (the implied odds) you are getting on a preflop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think OP means TOP, and Sklansky does discuss pot odds in preflop play. It's in the discussion about implied odds, where he says 5:1 preflop pot odds is enough with the implied odds to make a call for a 7.5:1 shot worth it.