Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Do you get stacked with QQ vs AA/KK every time on Party? (help pls)

This is an actual hand, but it happened to me three times today under similar circumstances.

Stacks ~25

I have QQ in EP and raise to 2, get 2 callers, Button raises to $7, I flat call, others fold.

Flop is all undercards, I bet pot, which amounts to a push, get called by KK, and bust. I guess my question is, do I just have to accept this or is there a better way to play QQ to a PF reraise on Party's short stacks.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Do you get stacked with QQ vs AA/KK every time on Party? (help pls)

Nope. 50xBB stacks don't let you get away from QQ barring an exceptional read.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a better way to play QQ to a PF reraise on Party's short stacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't think of a way. Unless you have data on the players and know that a preflop reraise means KK/AA, there's not much you can do at $25 NL on Party. This could be JJ/TT/99/AK/AQ/AJ/72o so much of the time, it seems like you're losing an edge here by folding at any point.

The other option is not to bet the flop, but even there I can't see any other real way to play it at this level. Many players will call your pot-sized-push with AK because they think you're bluffing, as well as with: AJ for TPTK, AT for TPTK, JJ for a lower overpair, TT for a lower overpair, T9s for a straight draw, etc.

...and, with all of this in mind, you get an extra 8% in equity because you can suck out on KK with a queen. I think you have to push and pray -- sorry it didn't work out today.

(and sorry for the rhyme. unintentional, I promise.)

-DB
Old 01-01-2005, 08:51 PM

When you bet, get raised, and somebody limp-pushes, it's usually pretty safe to lay QQ down (but if the people are maniacs, get in there anyway). If you just get 2-bet and the flop is relatively uncoordinated unders, you're just dead at 50xBB. On the plus side, by betting aggressively there, you get to stack JJ/TT a lot and also Ax top pair and even AK sometimes, and you get to overcharge the draws who may call and give you more +EV.