Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 11:41 PM

Default stayed too long with 10s?

Would you fold when the J came out? Opponent appears moderately loose/passive but only have 30 hands on him, VPIP/PFR 27/0.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 12-28-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Re: stayed too long with 10s?

There is just about no way I'm betting that river into 3 players with mid pair. Check and call one, but don't be like the 2 guy to overcall.

Brad
Old 12-28-2004, 11:44 PM

I really don't think you should run away and hide when an overcard falls. I would've played this hand the same, you probably just ran into a set or 2 pair.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:46 PM

Why can't he bet the river?

A jack seems unlikely because he was just called on the turn, so the only real thing he might have to worry about is a raggedy two pair or a straight coming in on the river with 7-9.

If he's raised like he was he can decide what to do, but with only one overcard to his pair, and no aggression, I don't see why he can't bet this.

He'll probably get called by an 8 if the 8 stuck around.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:19 AM

FWIW, UTG held Q9 and so hit a straight on the turn. Delayed reaction, I guess, or give him credit for a good slow-play. I saw the straight as well as the overcard when the J came out (79 would have made it too, which these players could have had). In hindsight I'm inclined to fold there with both possibilities, or if just the J and no straight to step out of the lead and call down. Is that an over-reaction to a bad beat?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 AM

I think you played it fine. I like the river bet and the call. You only have to be right 1 in 11 times or whatever for it to be fine.

He played his straight weirdly. It was dangerous to play it that way with the two suited flop.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:24 AM

With 4 callers I would be check calling the river, you are out of position and vunerable to a slowplay because you were the only one showing agression in a 5 handed pot.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 AM

The river bet/call sucks dude. There is zero chance our hero will win if he calls the raise.

Brad
Old 12-29-2004, 12:29 AM

But how did he know that guy was going to raise? And I don't think there's a 0% chance for Hero to win here. A couple times in the past week I have run into a play like this, called the river raise, and caught bare bluffs.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:32 AM

I don't like the bet to begin with, but it's not like betting is much worse then checking. If our hero does bet this hand, he HAS TO FOLD to a raise. Paying 2 BB to see a showdown is crazy with midpair.

If our hero can't fold this hand to a raise, he has no business betting it. There bad players aren't bluff raising you, they have the goods. Check/call a bet if you really want to see a showdown.

Brad