Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Johnny Chan

After I saw Johnny Chan carry around a copy of the National Inquirer a few years ago, he was no longer my idol. He was my hero up to that point. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Johnny Chan

Does anyone realize that Phil Hellmuth sucked out in the worst possible fashion against Johnny Chan during the WSOP Invitiational? With one card to come PH needed a ten. He had 10h10s. Johnny had KcKh(maybe? i am sure he had the club) Anyway, on the turn brought a third club so PH was drawing dead except for the 10d. BOOM 10d on the river, J. Chan loses the chip lead, and probably the tournament. And Phil was complaining about how ANNIE got lucky? This guy needs a reality check.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:24 PM

Did you read about this in the National Inquirer?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:05 PM

I don't see anything inherently wrong with reading the national enquirer. I mean, personally, Doyle Brunson has always been my poker idol, but if I saw him walking around with a copy of Teen People tucked under his arm, it wouldn't lessen my respect for him as a poker player.

And, FWIW, the National Enquirer is actually pretty amusing stuff to read. I mean, of course it's not hard-hitting news, but I guess if you've got time to kill in a poker room, there are worse things you could spend your time doing other than reading about Lindsay Lohan's scar tissue and Kirstie Alley's fat ass.

I take that back. He should be reading the Weekly World News. I used to have a collection of all the bat boy articles. And we've apparently come THIS close to armageddon like 30 times in the last 5 years.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone realize that Phil Hellmuth sucked out in the worst possible fashion against Johnny Chan during the WSOP Invitiational?

[/ QUOTE ]
From all the times I have seen Chan on tv recently I have seen him take a lot of bad beats, he is starting to remind me of Hellmuth!

Chan and Hellmuth play almost perfect poker yet they take quiet a lot of bad beats. It just aint fair.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:11 PM

the board was paired. The club would have filled him up.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From all the times I have seen Chan on tv recently I have seen him take a lot of bad beats, he is starting to remind me of Hellmuth!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Phil and Johnny, but at least JC doesn't act like PH when he takes a beat.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, personally, Doyle Brunson has always been my poker idol, but if I saw him walking around with a copy of Teen People tucked under his arm, it wouldn't lessen my respect for him as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, the player most likely to have this reading material would be Amarillo Slim.

Thank you very much. Thank you. No, really, you shouldn't. No...oh, thank you. Thanks so much! Good night everybody!
Old 12-26-2004, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything inherently wrong with reading the national enquirer. I mean, personally, Doyle Brunson has always been my poker idol, but if I saw him walking around with a copy of Teen People tucked under his arm, it wouldn't lessen my respect for him as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself. If I saw Doyle Brunson carry a copy of Teen People magazine, it would lessen my opinion of him as a poker player and I would throw away my copy of Super/System 2 - if I had a copy. For now, I sure as heck would throw away Super/System I. And I would immediately remove his autographed picture from my gym locker. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2004, 04:55 AM

After that post Im gonna take my autographed Men The Master Corona bottle of my trophy shelf where it sits next to my 8th grade wrestling ribbons.